Doing a fuel pump install what is that little orange guy for?

50sleeper

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2001
I am was just putting the sending unit back into the tank with the new pump all wired up and the little tiny orange "nipple" looking thing fell into the tank. :notnice:

What exactly is that thing for and can I get by without it?

• Sponsors (?)

I had to replace a fuel pump because I had an orange rubber material that had decentegrated in my tank.. My fuel sock was just coated with the stuff. I cleaned the tank out really good and put the new pump in and took that orage nipple thing off because it looks like the exact same material that was all over my tank. Been like that almost 2 months now and no problems so I would just take it off.

Thx

Thanks for the reply. Thats kind of what I figured.

After a quick google search turned up no pictures, part numbers or even a mention of the stupid thing... I just went on without it.

Finished the install and shes up and running. Not a fun job (especially alone).

The new Walbro is amazingly quiet. :nice:

There is a thing that reminds me of a duck's bill that fits on the return line where it dumps inside the tank. Its purpose is to prevent fuel from backing up into the return line in the event of the car turning over. This supposedly reduces the danger from fire if the return line is severed when the car turns upside down.

Thats it

There is a thing that reminds me of a duck's bill that fits on the return line where it dumps inside the tank. Its purpose is to prevent fuel from backing up into the return line in the event of the car turning over. This supposedly reduces the danger from fire if the return line is severed when the car turns upside down.

Thats the part!

Thanks for the info. :nice: