Doing T5 Swap: What's the Starter Index Plate?

5 Liter Mustang

Aug 17, 2003
On the list of "needed parts" at 50resto.com, it lists that i need a new Starter Index Plate. Im not sure what that is, but i'm assuming its the cover that bolts to the lower part of the bellhousing that protects the flywheel and indexs the starter.

if thats true, then can i use the one from the AOD, isn't it the same? So far, i already have the flywheel/pressureplate bolted up, the bellhousing bolted up, with the plate between it and the block, and the tranny is all bolted in. I still don't have a t5 crossmember, and i still haven't bolted up the starter. Do i need to get a special index plate or what, or can i just bolt the starter up using the plate off the AOD.

• Sponsors (?)

BlackFox5.0 said:
I think you mean the flex plate? it's a thin piece of flat aluminum, which is shaped like the bellhousing. The AOD plate is different from the T5's.

Well the Flex plate is technically the name for an Automatic Flywheel. He's got it right though, the Starter Index Plate.

Of course it doesn't really index the starter, it's more like a dust shield.

haha, got it in first

Here ya go, left side is AOD stuff and right side is T-5 stuff.

plateandflywheel.jpg

Attachments

• plateandflywheel.jpg
    plateandflywheel.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 458
Baaah said:
But I have pictures... :p

:nonono: touche

Ok riddle me this...

DO you know the correct part number of the starter index plate for the 5.0?

I have one but it's got a D9ZE part number. I want to make sure that this isn't a toploader 4-spd plate. They should be the same though because a 5,.0 block is a 5.0 block

EDIT: D9ZE-6A 373 - BA is the part number

I'm pretty sure that the 5.0 block plate is the same from 1979-1998 or around then. Soooo, since the number on your plate is from a 79 mustang, I'd say it'll work. I tried to find the box for my plate, but I guess it got thrown out.

Here's another pic for the first guy for the order of the stuff.

assembly.jpg

Attachments

• assembly.jpg
    assembly.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 218
crap... when i bolted up the bellhousing, i had the AOD index plate behind it... so i ended up taking everything out today.. im such an idiot. Anyways, tmrw i'm going to the junkyard to get a few other things, hopefully i can find it.

thanks everyone

Bump, anyone have the part number for a 86+ starter index plate??

I'm about to do my t-5 conversion and found a bunch of stuff i had was for a 10" clutch setup. I need an E6 bellhousing now :(

The starter index plate P/N i have is D9ZE-6A 373 - BA

Also, i have a flywheel E1ZR-6380-A2A. Is this an 81-85 flywheel for a 10" clutch :(

Damn, now i need to find a new flywheel and bellhousing :(