Dome light wont turn off

deftsound

Please ask me how much my supercharger cost
Apr 6, 2004
Texas City TX
Well tonight me and a buddy were drivin around and when we stopped i noticed my dome light wouldnt turn off. My first thought was oh i didnt shut my doors all the way, so i made sure my doors were shut all the way, i checked my trunk and it was shut and i made sure my headlight dimmer thing wasent set to the dome light position. My car was parked at a pretty extreme angle not sure if that had anything to do with it or not but i ended up having to take out the light bulb temporarily until i fix it. Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

deftsound said:
Well tonight me and a buddy were drivin around and when we stopped i noticed my dome light wouldnt turn off. My first thought was oh i didnt shut my doors all the way, so i made sure my doors were shut all the way, i checked my trunk and it was shut and i made sure my headlight dimmer thing wasent set to the dome light position. My car was parked at a pretty extreme angle not sure if that had anything to do with it or not but i ended up having to take out the light bulb temporarily until i fix it. Any ideas?

the same thing happens to me in my 99 v6, itll periodically not want to shut off, however most of hte times its pretty good, theres probably a loose connection somewhere

I get this in my GT sometimes. Here's the trick that works for me when it is stubborn. Put your key in the ignition and turn the car on but dont start it. Turn the dome light on and off at the switch and turn the car off. Get out, close door. Dome light should shut off. Usually works for me when it's being pissy.

Reactions: 1 user
I had the same problem with my Stang once (the alarm setting acted goofy, also). The issue had happened a while back on my '98 Taurus and I found a lot of threads on the switch in the door latch sticking. The fix that has always helped me is to open the door and soak (I mean SOAK) the door latch with WD-40 and then open/close it a few times. The only problem is that you may have excess WD coming out of the drain hole on the bottom of the door and onto the rocker panel. Should do the trick, tho. :nice:

CRZYHRSGT said:
I had the same problem with my Stang once (the alarm setting acted goofy, also). The issue had happened a while back on my '98 Taurus and I found a lot of threads on the switch in the door latch sticking. The fix that has always helped me is to open the door and soak (I mean SOAK) the door latch with WD-40 and then open/close it a few times. The only problem is that you may have excess WD coming out of the drain hole on the bottom of the door and onto the rocker panel. Should do the trick, tho. :nice:

Common issue ive had on my SHO's as well. WD does the trick.

vidmaster said:
I get this in my GT sometimes. Here's the trick that works for me when it is stubborn. Put your key in the ignition and turn the car on but dont start it. Turn the dome light on and off at the switch and turn the car off. Get out, close door. Dome light should shut off. Usually works for me when it's being pissy.

How in the world did you figure that out????? :lol: :rlaugh:

I noticed it only seems to do it if I have the dome light on when I shut the car off. Like if I stop and park and turn the dome light on with the car idling, then open my door, turn the car off, turn the dome light off, and get out. it will stay on. Almost seems like a relay isn't tripping or something because some condition isn't being met.

my girl had the same problem where the alarm would chirp twice and the dome light is on. i told her what the problem is. her dad went out and turned the headlight knob off and it fixed (supposibly). i dont think the dome light being left on will make the alarm chirp twice. originally, the knob was already off. i think the door pin switch on one of the doors is intermittent. when it happens again, im gonna shoot the doors full of contact cleaner.

the problem is the "pin switches" on the door latch, Ford paks these things wth a heavy greasy. when the weather turns cold, the grease gets hard and won't let the "pin" in the switch move, thus causing the dome light to stay on or the door ajar switch in the dash to stay on. the fix is either remove the switch and clean or replace it. this happens on just @ all Ford cars & trucks made form 1999 up

RandyStinchcomb said:
the problem is the "pin switches" on the door latch, Ford paks these things wth a heavy greasy. when the weather turns cold, the grease gets hard and won't let the "pin" in the switch move, thus causing the dome light to stay on or the door ajar switch in the dash to stay on. the fix is either remove the switch and clean or replace it. this happens on just @ all Ford cars & trucks made form 1999 up
And this guy knows. Listen to him people. Ya might learn a thing or two. ;)

I'm having the same problem with mine. I ordered a new pin from Ford and will install it when I put more dynamatt on my doors. For right now I just took out the bulb. Car doesn't get driven a whole lot at night. :)

vidmaster said:

AWSOME FIND!:SNSign:

for a minute there i thought the electrical day of doom had arrived:nonono: