Door Closing Issues On 03 Mach 1. Weatherstripping Too Thick?

old_blue

15 Year Member
Nov 3, 2003
2003 mach 1.

The passenger door seems to require a little more effort to close than the drivers side. I tried adjusting it but, the window goes in quite snug against the weatherstripping. I am not the first owner and I don't know if it has ever been replaced although I do know it was in an accident and the door appears to have been repainted so there maybe some fitment issues there. Regardless, the main part the is hitting and causing this isn't really the window, but the piece where the tweeter and mirror sit. The very top of this 'triangular' piece gets pushed down by the weatherstripping. The weather stripping as a little bulge in this area which is the same on the drivers side. I assume to take up any slack between the trim piece and window. But, the passenger side seems to be a little thicker here and is what I believe to cause the problem. Can I shave this area down somehow to gain a little clearance? maybe a set of vise grips to help mash it down a little so it is more forgivable?

Any help is appreciated

-B

• Sponsors (?)

Heat will take care of that. Park in the sun for a day or two and let the rubber mash in. If there was an accident, are you sure it's not the door panel itself that is pushing the triangle bit up? Compare the spacing underneath between driver and passenger.

Reactions: 1 user
So I took it apart (door panel) and it looks more like the weatherstripping at the front and maybe underneath is what is causing the door to sling back a little.

I took the window motor out to check it and it runs without any binding issues. I wonder if the window track is bent somewhere or not properly greased up? More inspection will be needed.

White lithium grease. Since the door is apart already, put it on everything that metal to metal contact or nylon to metal contact.

I even have a can of spray lithium sitting on the shelf for those hard to reach spots (Made by WD-40).

Post up some pics of what you're looking at Blue. At least where that weatherstripping is concerned. Have you checked behind it to see if maybe someone has tried "beefing up" behind it? I had this happen with a car and didn't discover it until a significant weather change (we moved). Does the weather stripping look new or is it car aged?

I think my weather stripping is causing the door issue which I can live with. But the slow window is killing me. So I took the door apart. Took tracks out, lubed tracks with a little grease, adjusted window tracks..... Nothing, still slow when going up. Couldn't figure it out until I pulled the felt out....

Ding Ding, once the felt was out the window rolls up without any binding issues. Looking at the felt it is very worn. I'll be ordering this next paycheck from American muscles..... I will let you guys know how it comes out to ensure it works.