Door Hinge Bushings

Door Hinge Bushings [SOLVED]

I've replaced them on several Ford trucks and even a 91 Fox but I can't find pins or bushings listed for a New Edge. They are everywhere for 79-93 cars. I've searched here, Google 50resto, American Muscle, Advance, Autozone, and even O'Reily to no avail. Are they even replaceable? Maybe a dealer only part? I would also like a new detent roller/bushing if anyone knows where to get them.

00 GT

• Sponsors (?)

I've replaced them on several Ford trucks and even a 91 Fox but I can't find pins or bushings listed for a New Edge. They are everywhere for 79-93 cars. I've searched here, Google 50resto, American Muscle, Advance, Autozone, and even O'Reily to no avail. Are they even replaceable? Maybe a dealer only part? I would also like a new detent roller/bushing if anyone knows where to get them.

00 GT

I've never seen them, probably dealer only. Do your door(s) not stay open on an incline?

The door is starting to sag- about a quarter inch on the rear edge. Classic case of worn bushings in the hinges. I can pick up on the edge of the door and feel the play. I want to fix it before it chews up the welded on hinges.

The detent roller has some flat spots and the hole in the middle is bigger than it should be. I could live with that but it squeaks and creaks and drives me nuts. I've tried all kinds of oils and greases. The best has been a wax based lube make for bicycles. It lasts about 6 weeks. I think that if the hole were not so worn there would be more contact area and it wouldn't wipe the grease out.

What year of car are we talking about? Sagging? Wow...

Squeeking, if need be, use some titanium grease. It is great but messy (white residue). Spray can at the auto store.

You mean Lithium grease? I've tried it but it all eventually washes out. I've also tried some heavy duty high tack synthetic stuff stuff we use at work but it only lasted two weeks. The roller is so worn it just wipes the stuff out. I might make one. We have some nylon round stock around here somewhere.

Its a 2000. Its not bad yet but it has gotten worse in the last year. I want to fix it before I am stuck having to weld on new hinges or drilling for oversized (thus weaker) bushings.

I went to the dealer today and when I asked for pins and bushings for a 2000 Mustang and he brought out pins and bushings that both had D9 part numbers- i.e. 1979. $38 for enough to do one door. I think I will try a standard set for a Fox body from Advance which are less than ten i think. I'll pose what I find.

I went to a different Advance Auto and found this:
Dorman 38438
Says its for various Ford/Lincoln/Mercury 1991-2005. The Mustang is not listed on Dormans website as being compatible but the pin is the right length- much shorter than the Fox pin.

0.340 x 2.70 on the pin
0.380 ID x 0.495 OD on the bushings.

OK so I got around to doing this today. The pin listed above was the perfect size. The bushing however was too big on the OD. I drilled out the hinge with a 15/32 bit which was a tad small. 31/64 wouldn't have held the bushings tight though so I very precisely enlarged the hole with my 15/32 until I felt I could drive it in. It was still tight and i had to drive the pin into the bushing and open it back up since it closed up a little. The original bushing was 0.420 inches if anyone was wondering. I think that is the other bushing size in other kits. The originals were steel backed aluminum i think. These bronze bushings won't last as long as those I am afraid.

And now some key words for google!
1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Ford Mustang Door Hinge Bushings Pin
I'm serious guys I hunted this information everywhere and hope to no one else has to hunt as hard as I did.

The parts guy brought me parts for a Fox. That pisses me off if the original bushings are available but the counter guy didn't know it. Now I have inferior bushings that will fail in 3-5 years instead of the factory replacements that have lasted 9.

Hey can anyone tell me if you had to take the hinge off to do this?

More importantly, do you have to take the fender off to access the hinge?

Sounds like alot of trouble to go thru just to do again in 3-5 years. Maybe new hinges upper and lower from Late model Restoration would be best....

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Hey can anyone tell me if you had to take the hinge off to do this?

More importantly, do you have to take the fender off to access the hinge?

Sounds like alot of trouble to go thru just to do again in 3-5 years. Maybe new hinges upper and lower from Late model Restoration would be best....

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

I started this project and then stopped because I realized I needed two people lol. But it's my understanding that you will have to take the hinge off but the fender can stay on just be careful not to knick your fender with the door when you take it off the hinges.

Reactions: 1 user