Door Hinge Busted On Door Side - Fixable?

FoxbodyBob

Jul 11, 2015
Hi All,

I bought my 3rd Mustang yesterday, an 88' LX 5.0. The last owner mentioned that the door pins on the driver side needed to be replaced. I've done this before and didn't think much of it besides taking a cursory peak (my mistake, should never trust anyone) and didn't notice until I got it home today that it's a bit more than that. It appears the hinge on the door side where the roller goes is bent. Is this possible to fix? I'm not seeing any replacement parts for the door side. Does the door need to be replaced? If so, how critical is this roller thing?

I took a picture of each side:

Good Side

Bad Side

Any input would be much appreciated!

Thank you in advance :)

• Sponsors (?)

If your door is good, I would remove the front fender to gain access. Then remove the door. It's and the hinges are bolted to the car. Lay the door on a padded bench and replace the hinge. If you look around you can find a cheap donor door from a salvage car to get a hinge from. The hinges are bolted to the car but welded to the door. From the pics you provided, you're lucky because it looks like you may only need the bolted half of the hinge where the roller is mounted. You can split the donor hinge by removing the pin and use just that half. You'll have to cut the pin with a dremel to remove it. If you need the entire hinge you'll need to cut and weld where it mounts to the door. Buy a hinge pin kit from LMR when you get another hinge.

Good Luck you'll figure it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the replies guys! The door still works so I guess I'm going to ignore it for now. In the mean time, I'll look for a donator door to get the hinge off of. I took a screenshot from a Youtube video on the repair and it looks like the part busted on my door is on the welded door side.

Thanks for the replies guys! The door still works so I guess I'm going to ignore it for now. In the mean time, I'll look for a donator door to get the hinge off of. I took a screenshot from a Youtube video on the repair and it looks like the part busted on my door is on the welded door side.
Oh you're right, my bad! It is on the side welded to the door. Bummer! Once you get the door off you might be able to spend some time to straighten that hinge back out. Worth a shot.

Oh you're right, my bad! It is on the side welded to the door. Bummer! Once you get the door off you might be able to spend some time to straighten that hinge back out. Worth a shot.

Yep, I was thinking that too. The door closes and opens fine now but you can hear the metal on metal noise. I assume this will deteriorate the hinges over time and it'll eventually not shut correctly. I suspect that'll be the day I take the door off to fix it ;)