Door is not closing properly!

Slider

Founding Member
May 19, 2000
Gainesville, FL
Has any one had probelms with their doors not closing properly?

My driver's side door has started acting up, and does not close properly unless I slam it shut. It keeps stopping in the half shut position (closed, but not closed all the way). It is very annoying to have to slam my door shut everytime I get in and out of it :bang: I tried oiling the latch mechanism, but it did not seem to help.

Any have any ideas what may be wrong, or how to fix it?

• Sponsors (?)

Align it, huh, I will have to take a look at it. I never thought to see if it had become missaligned. I was thinking that the latch mechanism was mechanically screwed up. I will have to check it out tonight. Thanks for the info.

Not for nothin, but a lot of fat people use the door as a crutch to lift themselves out of the car.. That'll definately throw it outta alignment.. on the extreme side of things and I doubt this is the problem.. you could twist the frame with enough power and the doors will have trouble. Just get it aligned and be careful with it in the meantime.

Just a thought, but when I had my car up on a two-post lift my doors were difficult to open/close. The lift was supporting the car unevenly and twisting the body.

Have you had subframe connectors installed recently? If they were installed while the car was unevenly supported it would cause this problem.

Riley

I have not done anything to it lately. I have not been to the track since April, and I don't even drive the car much more than a few times a week, if I am lucky. It just started acting up a week or so ago. The car is a 2000 and it has seen a lot of hard miles. It sounds like it has just worked out of alignment. Seems pretty straight foward enough to fix.

I figured out the problem, and it is actually the window that is causing the problem. What is happening is the window is going up to far, and this is causing it to push back against the door. It is this pushing against the window that is not allowing the door to shut properly. It seems that both the piece of rubber in the door up by the mach 460 midrange/tweeter assembly is stretched out too much, and the door seal on the car is been wore and compressed too much.

Looks like I have to replace the whole door seal on both the door and car :notnice: Any one have an idea where to get this at?