Door latch problems- new latch. 65-66. Picts inside.

hunterhicks

Dec 4, 2003
D/FW
Got a new pass. door latch for my 65. The old one would not stay shut, and randomly pop open at times, making the girl 'timid' and 'upset' about sitting next to me.

So, new latch from NPD. Repro. First, the three mounting screws don't fit *perfect* like the old latch- not excited about that. Close, but not really great.

Next, I have all the rods hooked up correctly, and the outside door handle won't open the door. It does not have enough 'reach.' It ALMOST releases the latch- needs 1/8" more... length.

I have a new door pawl (sometimes called a coupling, comes with 3 washers) that hooks to the outside handle bar at the latch.

What the hell?

Here is the Ford door diagram. This diagram is for the pass. door, which is the one in question. Also, notice the pawl- it's the thing in yellow, with the three washers. In this diagram, I'm pretty sure it's wrong. (should poke through the other way) The large round part needs to go on the other side, and the rod connects into the small end.

I've tried both ways. Almost works. I might be able to bend the rod for a little more length but...

Anyone else have problems like this?

doorLatch.jpg

Here is the driver's side installed- great picture from Tim65GT on another post:

doorGuts.jpg

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

You are right, it is backwards. Geez, they put the manuals together for the purpose of assembly. :mad:

Maybe these will also help:

DSC05654.jpg

DSC05655.jpg

Attachments

• DSC05654.jpg
    DSC05654.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 2,585
  • DSC05655.jpg
    DSC05655.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 3,613