Door Locks Are Reversed

Hey all. I got a 93 stang and the door locks are messed up. For example if all my doors are unlocked and I want to lock the doors from the driver side,,,, the driver side door locks, but the passenger side stays unlocked. Now when I hit unlock the driver side unlocks but the passenger side locks. It is also the same thing doing from the passenger side just reverse. I'm assuming some wires got messed up somewhere. I just got the car I did notice there use to b an alarm in the car if that makes a difference.
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Hey all. I got a 93 stang and the door locks are messed up. For example if all my doors are unlocked and I want to lock the doors from the driver side,,,, the driver side door locks, but the passenger side stays unlocked. Now when I hit unlock the driver side unlocks but the passenger side locks. It is also the same thing doing from the passenger side just reverse. I'm assuming some wires got messed up somewhere. I just got the car I did notice there use to b an alarm in the car if that makes a difference.
Thanks
I had an alarm installed on my car a couple of summers ago and this was the outcome I was left with too. I usually unlock the doors with my remote, so I haven't really addressed it, but I'll get to it eventually.

The easy fix would be to reverse the two wires going to the door lock actuator from the switch.

The right way would be to find where the wires are switched ( usually at the drivers kick panel area ) and fix them.

Last edited:
Welcome to stangnet.

Post some pictures of your mustang for us. Post a new thread in the '79-95 general talk subforum with any plans you have too.

BTW, what @90sickfox said is about it for your problem.

Good to have to have you with us.

Last edited:
The right way would be to find where the wires are switched ( usually at the drivers kick panel area ) and fix them.
It's not a wiring issue. Some universal alarm kits work this way on certain vehicles. It has to do with the way some vehicle door locks are wired. They work find on some cars, while reversing the polarity of the locks on others. Switching the wires around at the switch is probably the simplest way to fix it.

20161115_194151.jpg
20161115_193912.jpg
So i took the door panel off and I think I have new actuators in the car on the driver side. I wonder is this suppose to look like this ? Do you think this is my problem? Shoukd I cut this and switch the wires?

Well they are both backward. on the passenger side when I hit lock the passenger side locks but the driver side opens. on the passenger side when I hit unlock the driver side locks and the passenger side unlocks. it's the same scenario on the drivers door. so you think I'll have to take the other door panel off and change those wires too if it looks like the drivers door

It sounds like the drivers door is the one backwards. The passenger side is working correctly. Swap the wires at the drivers door actuator and see if it fixes your problem.

Thanks sick fox. last night I switch the wires on the drivers side actuator. Both doors now work in sync with each other. The funny thing is now when I hit unlock on the driver door both doors lock and when I hit lock they unlock. Now when I hit the passenger side door locks they work fine. I can live with that. Just wanted to say thanks again and tell you that.. There's always something

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks sick fox. last night I switch the wires on the drivers side actuator. Both doors now work in sync with each other. The funny thing is now when I hit unlock on the driver door both doors lock and when I hit lock they unlock. Now when I hit the passenger side door locks they work fine. I can live with that. Just wanted to say thanks again and tell you that.. There's always something
Glad you got it kinda figured out. I could live with that, too. ( for a little while ) At least they lock and unlock together now.

Thanks for letting us know you made some progress. [emoji469]

What's your next project to tackle ?