door question

TWR3

Nov 29, 2007
Gloucester, VA
hey guys the last bodypart i need before my exteriors done and ready for paint is a passenger door for my 86. my doors are manual. the thing is both junkyards that have em want 150 for one door!! well i know one guy with an 84 with power doors in good shape... and he wants 30 for his. he told me i can run a wire from the door to the battery that will allow it to work properly and all, is this true? also i cant remember 100% if those years doors look the same or not, just trying to save 120$ if itll work so let me know something! thanks in advance guys:D

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, the doors are the same. If you want to use your manual crank and door panels, just remove the power regulator and motor and wiring and swap over your manual parts. If you want power and don't get both doors, you can find the other door power regulator, motor, switch, door panel and wiring and hook it all up like stock. I did that since my black interior is power and the original red was manual. Just be careful of the power window regulator if you remove it. It is spring loaded! If you do go power, I would get the wiring harness that goes between the doors under the dash also. I don't know if it is separate on the older cars, but it was a totally separate wiring harness on the 87-93 cars.

how much of a pain is it to switch back to manual, i like it better, never have to worry about motors dieing like on my 99 cadillac it died a few times and ALWAYS at a rainy/cold season! if i can do that ill devinately save the 120 and go buy this power door!

Hardest part is drilling out the rivets that hold the regulators in place. The power ones have like 4 rivets and manual ones have like 3. You have to remove the power window motor, then drill out the rivets, (be careful about the spring loaded arm to the window) and then work the regulator and arm out of the window bottom (where the arm slides) and the door cavity. Then install the manual one in reverse. I just used some small bolts and nuts to attach mine, but you can rivet it if you want.