Door Seating Problems With New Weather Stripping

5.0 Nostalgia

10 Year Member
Feb 28, 2003
CT
I just installed new weather stripping on the passenger side of my LX. It is the 5.0 Resto weather stripping. I noticed even before putting it on that the material is much firmer than the factory piece. After installing, the door doesn't seat all the way so it sticks out a little. I am pretty much certain this isn't going to seal properly and will leak. I went so far as to remove the door entirely and re-align but it is the same. I tested the seal by running the end of a zip tie along the weather strip with the door shut and it is going through with minimal resistance in the back about a third of the way up. Has anyone else noticed this? Will it break in and seat properly?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

You need to adjust the striker so that it holds the door closer to the body. It is also a good time to install a new striker bushing as the plastic wears out and breaks over time.

loosen the striker with a torx bit and slide it towards the inside of the car for a tighter door to body fit, and towards the outside of the car if the door is too far inboard. If the bushing has excessive wear it will allow the latch to have too much free play and the door will want to sag out, which I suspect is your issue. Your old weatherstripping wasn't stiff enough for you to notice, but the new stuff is exerting more force on the door and exposing the worn bushing and/or misaligned striker.

Thanks for your input. I am going to try adjusting the striker a little closer to the body. I believe I already did that but I will try again. I have new bushings so I will replace that as well.

Any other ideas?