Door Strike Replacement Issue (repost From The Tech Forum)

Not sure these is the right forum, so please forgive if not. I am moving this post over from the Tech forum, as really this issue is not that "technical", but simply just pretty "stupid".

The plastic bushings on my 89 GT conv were broken. So, I ordered new ones and assumed it would take 5 minutes to replace them. So, got out my wrench, removed the strike pin, added the new bushing when to install the pin (I'm sure you see where this is going...) and of course the "nut" to which you insert the strike pin breaks free of this flimsy paper thin plastic casing and drops into the door body.

In the meantime, while I am trying to retrieve that nut, does anybody know where I can purchase a new plastic housing the secure it? I can find strike pins all over that place, but not that part. Any ideas on the best way to get access into the body and fish out the nut? I've already got the back seat and the interior side panel removed.

Thanks much,
-Hal

• Sponsors (?)

Okay, seems as though no one is answering you. It sounds as if the nut plate fell inside the quarter panel? I think it sits in a groove in there. You shouldn't need the plastic clip thing. Pull the rear side interior panel and fish it out with your hand or a magnet and put it back in place. You may have to hold it till you get it snugged down some.