Door swap & year interchangeability?

tonydalrymple

Nov 27, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
Hey all. 1)Are notch & hatch doors the same?
2) Are 86 doors the same as '89's?
<I'm aware the moulding is different; but that should not be a problem(?)>
3)What year notch & hatch(if applicable) will also work for an '89?

From what I understand : '88 to '93 doors are the same for the given vehicle whether it be a notch, hatch, or convertable. Since I once owned a '89 'vert; I found the 'vert doors will interchange with t-top doors. Now I'm in new territory so to speak with my notch......

Reason?
I found my '89 notch's door has some pretty serious damage last night while installing a new handle. Stress fractures around the base of the frame, along the upper "shell", & poor body work all around the door handle. I think it will be better to replace it versus weld & repair the origional. I have a friend with a mint '86 hatch door & he "owes" me.....;)

• Sponsors (?)

if you switch the moldings and the outer dew wipe you should be able to interchange 86 doors to your 89 with no problems. It's my understanding the doors are basically the same. You will need to drill new holes for the arm rest to mount to but that's no big deal.

J.

83GT289 said:
if you switch the moldings and the outer dew wipe you should be able to interchange 86 doors to your 89 with no problems. It's my understanding the doors are basically the same. You will need to drill new holes for the arm rest to mount to but that's no big deal.

J.

thanks for the reply. I had guessed that they basically would be the same between the years. Do you know if hatch & notch doors are the same dimentionally thought?

Im pretty sure that the doors from 79 to 93 are all the same if they have door window frames... If you have a t-top model (which i do) they didnt start using convertable doors on them till 87.. The 86 and older models used modified hardtop doors, Ford would actually use the same door as the hardtops and take the frame off. Im think that any door with a window frame will work.. Naturally the mounting surface is different like location of the armrest and what not. Probably some differences in supports cause i know 86 and under did not have a door speaker, and there really isnt any room to put one its kinda tough... hope that helps a lil bit.

Thanks to all whom have so kindly posted response(s).

I would just keep an eye on the junkyards for the appropriate door; but the one my friend has,(from what I've seen), is a perfectly mint door & it is blue(not the exact blue; but the car will be painted here real soon).