Door weatherstripping

RYC CUKR

Founding Member
May 19, 2002
Orlando
Anyone know of a good place to get some door weatherstripping for my 88 coupe? It came with a new set and I installed them and they leak at the top which sucks cause now the seats are wet and the car smells musty:nonono: . I know that 50 resto has weatherstrip but I have heard both good an bad reviews about it being a little small, which is the problem that I am having right now. So is there anywhere else that some of you have had good luck with?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Personally, I would stick with OEM. I have heard things about other aftermarket weatherstrips, and the reviews have been mixed.

My only experience is with the 50resto ones, and they suck horribly. I installed them and they leaked, I used foam to push inside the tubular weatherstrip to fatten it up and make it more rigid, especially in the corners, but they still leaked ever so much. I ripped them out and installed some OEM weatherstrips, talk about a night and day difference. The OEM ones are fatter and hold their form much better than the 50resto ones, which flattened out in a matter of weeks.

If I were you, I would spend the money and get OEM.

I got my last set for mine from Autozone. They ordered them overnight from http://www.metrommp.com/

There was no shipping charge and I had them the next day. They have held up very nicely and will probably buy my next set, when needed, from the same place. That is how much I like them. I also spray some silicone spray on them 3-4 times a year to keep them pliable.

You said yours was leaking? Might want to check out those door hinge pins/bushings. That would be my guess instead of the weatherstripping.

View attachment 415113

I have already done the pins and bushings in the hinges. It only started leaking after I swapped the weatherstrip out. The old stuff was all torn up at the bottom and when I bought the car it came with new door weather stripping that hadn't been put in so I figured it was a nice little job to do. Bad move now they leak but not in the corners right in the top in the middle above the seat. So the only change was the new weatherstripping so I figure that is the culprit.

Thanks for the info guys

Edit: Fett where did you get the OEM ones from?

i would check into the weatehr stripping form holcomb motorsports i bought some form them and its satmped rite on the package ford oem and it was only like 52 bucks for both sides. (lumberton nc) 1800 475-race or (mooresville ) nc 1866-299 -race they had it instock and are great to deal with:SNSign: