Dowel pins don't fit new flywheel

merc123

Jan 27, 2003
North GA
Just got a new flywheel and the dowel pins out of the OEM flywheel will not fit the new one. It's an O'reilly (Sachs Part Number: NFW1175 ) flywheel and the holes are too big for the pins. Am I missing something?

• Sponsors (?)

The new flywheel didn't come with dowel pins?

Normally a "dead blow" hammer is needed to remove/install the dowel pins. The fit should be tight.

Might be helpful to go back to the store and ask.

The old one was bad off from bad clutch/pressure plate engagement. Mechanic strongly recommended not resurfacing it. Had a lot of hot spots. The flywheel was only $60. It did not come with pins and I called the manufacturer and they confirmed it as well that they do not provide them. The holes in the flywheel are about 5/16" and the dowels are 1/4" or so. I asked O'reilly's and they didn't know so they ordered a new one. Going to see if the holes match in size tomorrow. If they do then I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

You can always try to get a used one from a junkyard and resurface. If nothing else the people that make the flywheel should sell dowels. If they don't that is a total joke. Ebay is a good option to get an almost new flywheel that someone pulled.

After many hours on the phone with 100's of people we finally got it figured out. It is listed as a flywheel for a 4.6L but it is actually for a 3.8L. Apparently the 4.6L flywheel is a dealer only item unless you go to JEGS or somewhere like that...

Update: New dowel pins from Ford... They are different sized now.

You need to get metric dowel pins: Jegs P/N 397-M-6397-A302

Ford I think is just M-6397-A302. The dowel pins came in a pack of 6 so I had to buy the entire pack from Ford.

After many hours on the phone with 100's of people we finally got it figured out. It is listed as a flywheel for a 4.6L but it is actually for a 3.8L. Apparently the 4.6L flywheel is a dealer only item unless you go to JEGS or somewhere like that...
I was going to say it sounds like the wrong clutch. Pick one up from Summit.

i think thats a yes.
chin.gif