Dr Gas Worth The Hype?

Discussion in '1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-' started by stykthyn, Aug 27, 2013.

1. stykthyn

stykthyn Commander of the snuggie cultists

I'm in the market for a new mid pipe and I have always heard great things about teh Dr Gas x pipes. Is it worth the coin or will I be better off scrounging craigslist for another H pipe?
  2. 90lxwhite

90lxwhite Mustang Master

Is anything ever worth the hype? I don't have any experience w dr gas but what is it that allegedly sets them apart from the rest? I dunno if I'd buy used but maybe go w bbk or another brand. If it bolts in true and seals I imagine you'll get the same gains. Mostly sound
  3. David Pepiton

David Pepiton Active Member

they look like just about every other mandrel bent x pipe. but the price isnt to bad and since it comes in 5 pieces you can adjust the pipes slightly for different exhaust combos and so forth. as far as hp and torque I dont think you will have a difference but ive heard it shoulds deeper when compared to the bbk or pace setter x pipes but similar to vrs.
  4. mikestang63

mikestang63 Mustang Master

I personally prefer a 1 piece H or X pipe. The less pieces the less opportunity for leaks and less welds needed.
    jAEded likes this.
  5. 85_SS_302_Coupe

85_SS_302_Coupe it sucks (I know) to be on the receiving end

I have one on my car, it was bought way back when Dr. Gas was the only maker of X pipes (and my understanding is they invented the X crossover). I don't know if I'd say they in particular are better than any other brand, but I will say don't waste your money on an X that isn't a true siamese joining of two bends. The "x" pipes that are made from a clam shell looking thing are closer to an H if you ask me. The ones that are really wide looking X's have too much space in the middle to flow the way a proper X is supposed to flow. The exhaust pulses have to make too much of a bend between the pipes and essentially function like an H does.

So, bottom line, if it's a true siamese X, and it's mandrel bent, go for it. Otherwise keep shopping.

This is an X pipe:
    [​IMG]

This is a glorified H pipe masquerading as an X pipe:
    [​IMG]
    stykthyn and David Pepiton like this.
  6. stykthyn

not really expecting any gains, my Mac is rusting through and no longer seals well. I reek when I get out of the car or sit at a stop light. Always curious what one sounded like though.
    well you got me there, but hopefully if welded correctly I wont have to worry about those pesky leaks.
    This is the response I was looking for.
  7. jAEded

jAEded Active Member

+1
  8. vfast

vfast Member

it's a nice piece but unless your a racer needing every last hp without worring about your coin then ok... i have used them over the years..mac sucks as you have seen the rust fast as hell
  9. madspeed

madspeed Colonel Mustard Mod Dude Founding Member

MAC pro chamber here FTW
  10. stykthyn

Upr has a knockoff piece for around 175. Wish I could find one in stainless.
  11. mikestang63

mikestang63 Mustang Master

Bassani?
  12. stykthyn

Hmmm. Haven't checked there yet. How is their QC? Back when they first started up I didn't hear stellar things about them.
  13. Rick 91GT

Rick 91GT SN Certified Technician Site Sponsor

The second pic 85ss pictured of the funky X is a bassani. They work great and have a very unique sound.

Personally for normal bolt on cars I use the UPR...otherwise I just build them myself ;)

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
    stykthyn likes this.