Drag guys! Shelby drop??

jasonn

Founding Member
Sep 26, 2002
By Rochester MN
My pro street car has the new upper uca's about 3 years ago. (not many miles). Bushings are junk, The nuts just keep loosening up all the time. So I am sick of the stock cheap china junk you get with ALL of these kits. ( I have tried damn near all of them). I was looking at either global west or tcp tubular uppers. For a few bucks more you can get them with the shelby 1"drop option. Any drag guys run the shelby drop? I have a custom coilover front right now and 4 link rear. Race it, and drive it on the street. Thanks much!

• Sponsors (?)

LOL @ Chinese junk. I just canceled my account with the "largest" parts manufacturer because of that. Sooooo tired of junk. Either of those is much better. Have sold tons of both, only one problem with one and they sent out the replacement no problem. Skip the drop

I did the Shelby drop on mine over 10 years ago and it does transfer weight.

09.jpg

After I restored it in 2005 at a track that wasn't prepped very well launching at idle. Opentracker upper and lower control arms and roller spring perch.

Lakeland1.jpg

I'm not sure I understand why you would have to spend more money for A-arms with the shelby drop when the shelby drop is nothing more that physically moving the stock arms down an inch (and back 1/8 depending on the year of your car).

Lowering the uca is a mod for cornering not for drag racing. Rusty's car works in spite of it not because of it. Lowering the uca causes the track width to change more as the suspension extends. That causes the tire to have to slip sideways more as the front end rises. You can see this when jacking the car up. It may be a small amount, but it is a step in the wrong direction for drag racing.

If your setting up for drag, I wouldn't go by those alignment numbers. Especially the 1 degree caster. The more the better generally. Mine had 5.5 degrees and drove so nice down the strip. 1/16" of toe in at the point it would be at the stripe.

The one advantage not metioned for the shelby/arning drop is the fact that it would allow you to run a slightly longer shock. So if you are building a custom coilover front susepnsion like i did then you would get maybe a 5/8" longer shock which would help in front end lift.