Drag racing is only boring for the losers

Mosix

Jan 27, 2003
Donald, OR
I saw the boring statement in another post and didn’t want muck it up.
Come out to the track and set the lockup clutch, two step, tire pressure, wheelie bar for each round. Then, proper burnout, stage it within .2 inch in the beams and cut a .005 or better light, shift 4 times when the shift light blinks and run within .005 of your dial, damm that is easy and boring. Wait the temp and water vapor changed in the last hour, what to change the dial to? how will the launch change? That is what racing is all about, the pressure of making the next round, a lot different from late night where you just get in line and run again. Gospeed come out to PIR on the 4th and bring a helmet and jacket, I’ll let you take a 10sec pass and tell me how boring it is.

Glenn NHRA # 640 Pro ET Suzuki

• Sponsors (?)

Lmao :rlaugh: I didnt say I couldnt appreciate how much goes into it...Its just a lot of work for 10 seconds of reward. The boring part wanst relating to doing it, rather being a fan. Take most of what you mentioned for setup and run 40 laps door to door with someone you hate...thats racing :nice: Thats what I like watching...as a fan.

Dad is working on getting a rail....not like he needs another toy...but should be interesting:) And as far as the 4th goes....Ill be there. Friday night PIR, Saturday morning Woodburn, Sat night and sunday night Lebanon, and monday PIR...Now THATS how you spend a 3 day weekend! cya there :nice:

Drag racing v road racing can be argued indefinitely. It's an apples and oranges issue. I chose drag racing because cars are not damaged (at least the bodies), and it is relatively cheap. Going down the track is only a small part of a much larger picture of preparation and strategy. At the end of the day, both motorsports are unnecessary and a drain on your resources. It's just a matter of what you like to do. I had a prolonged discussion with a road racer and fellow fox body owner who came to PR for an event. We dealt with the same issues in a different way: suspension, power, balance, safety equipment -rules. It was interesting.

stock50LX said:
I chose drag racing because cars are not damaged (at least the bodies), and it is relatively cheap.
My car gets noticably more rattly every time I drag race. And I have seen more cars wreck at the street legal drags at PIR than I have on the road course. :shrug: The open track event was much easier on my car -- I think I get more wear and tear on the 25 miles of potholes between work and home.

For me, a more interesting question is why some people spend thousands on speed equipment and never take their cars to any type of track or competition.
That would only be an interesting question if none of us ever drove fast on the street. ;)

Dave

Rootus said:
My car gets noticably more rattly every time I drag race. And I have seen more cars wreck at the street legal drags at PIR than I have on the road course. :shrug: The open track event was much easier on my car -- I think I get more wear and tear on the 25 miles of potholes between work and home.

That would only be an interesting question if none of us ever drove fast on the street. ;)

Dave
Dave beleive it or not I disagree with you on the topic of road course being easier on your car than drag racing.Although I dont and have never raced on a road course so keep in mind this is only a opinion so take it easy on me :p anyway your brakes have to be smoking hot, your motor has to be toasty because its constant on and off the throttle for what 10 or 15 minutes "not sure how long your sessions are"and your working your suspension alot harder than you would on a 12 sec 1/4 mile run.My car actually feels better after a night of drag racing :shrug:

03yellowvenom said:
Dave beleive it or not I disagree with you on the topic of road course being easier on your car than drag racing.Although I dont and have never raced on a road course so keep in mind this is only a opinion so take it easy on me :p anyway your brakes have to be smoking hot, your motor has to be toasty because its constant on and off the throttle for what 10 or 15 minutes "not sure how long your sessions are"and your working your suspension alot harder than you would on a 12 sec 1/4 mile run.My car actually feels better after a night of drag racing :shrug:

The shock and abuse the engine and drive train endures on a ¼ pass is worse than open tracking a car.

Sure, the brakes get hot on some corners but this can be managed. Sure, engines get hot but probably not any hotter than a prolonged high-speed blast on the freeway or stop and go traffic in the summer. The track (PIR) is pretty damn smooth. The suspension isn’t hammered constantly. The throttle is not an on/off switch when open tracking. Smooth application of the steering, brakes and throttle are the key to being fast.

I’ve drag raced and open tracked my Cobra. IMHO drag racing is much harder on a car than open tracking.

Let’s not forget that insurance companies will not cover damage incurred at a timed event. Open track days like those that the Shelby Club is hosting on the 11th is not a timed event.

duner said:
The shock and abuse the engine and drive train endures on a ¼ pass is worse than open tracking a car.

Sure, the brakes get hot on some corners but this can be managed. Sure, engines get hot but probably not any hotter than a prolonged high-speed blast on the freeway or stop and go traffic in the summer. The track (PIR) is pretty damn smooth. The suspension isn’t hammered constantly. The throttle is not an on/off switch when open tracking. Smooth application of the steering, brakes and throttle are the key to being fast.

I’ve drag raced and open tracked my Cobra. IMHO drag racing is much harder on a car than open tracking.

Let’s not forget that insurance companies will not cover damage incurred at a timed event. Open track days like those that the Shelby Club is hosting on the 11th is not a timed event.

A more realistic comparison would be comparing drag racing to oval track racing. The open course is really legal speeding, not racing, due to its many restrictions on passing and the danger of being black flagged for driving outside the rules. Even considering the restrictions, I know my brother-in-law goes through a set of brakes and tires during the open course sessions to which you referred (Mitsubishi 3000Vr -something). But if you enjoy it, by all means, do it! At least he's using his car.
Drag racing can certainly beat up the drivetrain, but it's all relative to the power level you bring to the track. You have at least 10 times more people drag racing in the US than racing on road courses, so in an absolute sense, there might be close to the same number of accidents in drag racing; but not in a proportional analysis.

Rootus said:

Dave

I addressed these issues below.

stock50LX said:
A more realistic comparison would be comparing drag racing to oval track racing. The open course is really legal speeding, not racing, due to its many restrictions on passing and the danger of being black flagged for driving outside the rules. Even considering the restrictions, I know my brother-in-law goes through a set of brakes and tires during the open course sessions to which you referred (Mitsubishi 3000Vr -something). But if you enjoy it, by all means, do it! At least he's using his car.
Drag racing can certainly beat up the drivetrain, but it's all relative to the power level you bring to the track. You have at least 10 times more people drag racing in the US than racing on road courses, so in an absolute sense, there might be close to the same number of accidents in drag racing; but not in a proportional analysis.

Well said.

Mosix said:
I saw the boring statement in another post and didn’t want muck it up.
Come out to the track and set the lockup clutch, two step, tire pressure, wheelie bar for each round. Then, proper burnout, stage it within .2 inch in the beams and cut a .005 or better light, shift 4 times when the shift light blinks and run within .005 of your dial, damm that is easy and boring. Wait the temp and water vapor changed in the last hour, what to change the dial to? how will the launch change? That is what racing is all about, the pressure of making the next round, a lot different from late night where you just get in line and run again. Gospeed come out to PIR on the 4th and bring a helmet and jacket, I’ll let you take a 10sec pass ..................

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz :sleep: Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :sleep: Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The real problem is, if you ask me, that everyone is too busy "going to the dragstrip" and not Drag Racing. It seems everyone is fine as long as there is nothing at stake but as soon as anyone starts talking about it being the least bit competitive people get skeered.

I do tend to agree, "going to the dragstrip" can be boring, but Drag Racing isn't. The half step, bracket racing, is a little better but still lacks flavor.

$.02

...and I think Pog hit it right on the nose...
Drag racing is much more boring to watch than participate in...

with roundy round I can keep entertained as a spectator much easier than with the drags. It was more the comment made by Tom in the other post that sparked my remark about it being boring. Unfortunately Glen was more offended than Tom was:)

I love both drag and road course, but with drag racing your pushing the car hard to see what it is capable of, the road course stuff that we can do with our street cars is not as fun because you can`t push it or your out. so ya gots to drive grammy, sorry no fun. now real road racing would be a blast but its very hard on the car. I can`t think that the straightaway at pac. racways that is used in both drag and road course is not subject to speed shifting. but it hurts the drag car more?????????