Drag Racing Rules?

buhjuh16

Mar 17, 2004
Glasgow, KY
Does anyone know if theres a certian limit that you can run without a roll-cage? I have a 95 convertiable and someone told me that if i run faster than a certian time then i have to have a roll cage and a drive shaft loop. I always go to beech bend raceway in bowling green, KY.. but i didnt know if there was general rule or track specific rules. anyone heard of something like this?

• Sponsors (?)

Yep, if you run under a 13.5 you are required to run a NHRA/IHRA approved roll bar that consist of a fully welded bar with at least a driver's side impact bar. There are very specific rules as to what is legal and what is not. If you don't know, pick up a copy of an NHRA safety book and it'll detail it out for you.

So if i go to the track for test and tune which anyone that wants to can make a pass, i will have to have a roll cage if i get under 13.5?

Or is this for NHRA events only?

I THINK that is for NHAR only. But for non NHRA events I think out local track says that if you do a 12 or lower you need a cage.

I am not 100% on that though.

You have to wear a snell certified helmet in ANY convertible no matter how slow you are. And the 13.49 cage rule all depends on your local track, some places enforce it and others dont. Ask some of the local racers how tough they enforce the rules??? You should always run a driveshaft safety loop regaurdless, it could save your life as well as others. Just remember, one place to skimp on shouldnt be the safety gear!!!:nice:

So if i go to the track for test and tune which anyone that wants to can make a pass, i will have to have a roll cage if i get under 13.5?

Or is this for NHRA events only?

If the track is an IHRA or NHRA track (which all tracks are one or the other) you are technically required to run a roll bar. You won't need a full cage until you get <10's. As was said, its all up to the track and how strict they are with the rules whether or not you'll get away with it. I called an got some quotes recently for a custom bent chrome moly cage and the cost rage from $1000-$1600 installed. You can buy an "out of the box" kit and weld it in yourself for a lot cheaper though, but you have to have skills for welding and chassis work.

cages in verts look terrible to me thats why i stopped building my vert and made it my street only car....test and tunes seem to be a little less picky on the rules but if they enforce it they will ban your car from making any passes till you cage it...so that would suck....its why im now a hardtop guy :D

right now i have a styling bar (which im sure doesn't count) and a tonneau cover. If i have to put in a cage ill have to get rid of both. I dont really plan on racing in any events.. just hangin out at test and tune. ill check with some friends at the track on how strick they are.

Thanks alot for the responses everyone