drag radials

gtstangau

Jan 9, 2006
Alabama
I just got a set of Nitto Drag Radials for my car an they came with a bunch of warnings about mounting them in cold weather, I live in alabama so its not to cold but it still drops below freezing at night. Has anybody ever had these on there car in the winter? Why cant you run them cold?

• Sponsors (?)

Any extreme or max performance summer tires get really hard when its at freezing or below so that its like driving on plastic tires. Trying to mount them when freezing would prolly cause damage to the bead :shrug: You will love them as I just put on some 555 Extremes today and they have the best bite out of any tire I ever used :nice:

i work at a tire shop and i have never heard of anything like that

Ahhh, took a shot in the dark. I have seen that sticker on my friends DR Nittos too but we lived in Maui at the time so we ignored it. Normally when its warmer out (70+) I can easily shove a thumbnail into the tread of my GS-Cs and the other day when it was 28 outside I could not even remotley press a thumb nail into it. Seems they do get pretty hard when cold, IDK if it makes a difference for mounting but Nitto seems to think so :shrug:

leave them in ur house for a day or two and then get them mounted, i doubt its going to hurt anything. i ran on those same tires for a while, just took them off actually. what part of alabama u from?

leave them in ur house for a day or two and then get them mounted, i doubt its going to hurt anything. i ran on those same tires for a while, just took them off actually. what part of alabama u from?

Im from Huntsville, AL it not really to cold here but it does get into the 20's at night so I don't want to wake up for work an have my tires frozen. The warning label says it causes crackin an stuff so I don't want to mess up a set of $150 tires.

Not sure about the mounting part, but be careful when its colder out. I have the nitto DRs and found out the hard way, theyre not so much sticky in cold weather. It was in the low 30's and some dude on the hwy (65mph limit) in front of my was being an ass. Kept locking his brakes up for whatever wacko reason, so i drop it into 2nd doing about 30mph and hammer it to go around him. get up to about 65 mph passing him and all of a sudden i loose all traction and the car does a 180 so freaking fast that i didnt even have enuf time to even think or react. the next thing i know i'm doing about 70mph thru a ditch sideways. 9K dollars worth of damage. :notnice: Real dumb, but i just didnt realize that DR's dont like weather even in the 30s.