Drage Race Fuel system???

Marc_G

Jul 1, 2005
Hey everyone, my current project is a 67 mustang drag race car. This car is strictly track and as of now I am putting together a fuel system. My motor is expected to put out around 800hp with the help of nitrous. My question is will a holley blue fuel pump (114 gph) be able to supply this engine? My nitrous shot will only be 100-150 if i do spray. But I currently have my 10 gal. fuel cell and a spare holley blue that i wanted to use. I will be doing 6 or 8AN outlet with a 4 or 6AN return. Also, if anyone has any info, good or bad, on my fuel system, feel free to post an opinion. I want to do this right the first time!

Marc G

• Sponsors (?)

Geez, I don't think the blue will hold up. I had a drag only 289 with dual 660's that made around 400hp and the Mallory Comp 140 pump starved it on the big end. Ended up using a BG 280 that was fine. The Mallory worked okay on the same 289 later with a single 750 on it.

If your making 650 hp N/A.... I think the blue will work for the nitrous, but I think you'd need two blues for just the engine, so 3 blues total. I'd get an Aeromotive pump for the engine and use the blue for the nitrous and keep the other blue as a spare in the tool box.

I personally don't care for the blues as they're really noisy (as if open headers weren't)

Blue pumps don't have the cool factor of the newer stuff, but IIRC pro stocks ran 2 of them in the 80's. I ran a single blue pump with 1/2" lines with a 302 and N2O w/o any trouble on a car that ran 10.60's. I think 2 blue pumps would be plenty. The catch is that 1 to the motor and 1 to the N2O would over work 1 and under work the other. The 2 pumps would need to share the load by using a common fuel line or regulator. What regulator are you using?

Brian, I have the regulator that came with the Holley Blue. I may switch to a different pump and just use the blue for the n20, but i am planning on breaking in the motor and not spraying for a while. The engine is brand new and i would rather be safe than sorry and not chance starving the motor.