drained battery??

• Sponsors (?)

WOW! Im having the same problem right now! I made an appointment with FORD for tommorow at 10:00 (Friday). I got my 06 back in November and have 176 miles on it. I last drove the car around christmas, so it hasnt sat THAT long without being started. I jumped it last night with my 5.0's battery. Today I went out and it was completely dead again. I jumped it drove it around and even let it sit in the driveway running for an hour. Ill let everyone know what my dealer says about it when I get back tommorow

Add me to the list of '05 GT owners with battery problems.

Left it sitting for two weeks and it would not start when I tried it this last weekend. The dealership replaced the battery and said everything is now working fine.

Found it strange none of the service guys there claim to have heard anything about the battery problems this car is having. Sure hope Ford gets this issue resolved soon.

Having same problem. When I put my new battery charger on it the first time and came back to check it after work it gave a fault reading that indicated an inappropriate current draw. I hooked it up again and this time it was able to fully charge without fault. I could hear the speakers give a light thump at times with the car completely off, so I am sure it is related the the shaker 500.

I am going to replace the stereo with my Pioneer Premier at some point, I think the shake sucks quality wise. Will start new thread for my stereo thoughts sometime.

I guess I am a memeber of the dead battery club also. I just got the car back today from Ford service and I had a defective smart junction box (GEM). I wonder if that is all of the problem, though. I had no power to the right side reverse light, that's why I got the new GEM. I also have a Shaker 500, btw. One of us needs to unplug our radios and let the car sit for 10 days. Any volunteers?

Well ive had my mustang 3 months now (06), and when i get out of the car, the damn stereo stays on. I cant get ti to shut off automatically when i pull the keys out and open a door. I noticed the time is being displayed when i turn off the power too. not sure, appointment with my dealership tomorrow, ill let you know how it turns out.

I know this is an old thread.

But I let my car sit an the Dallas airport for 10 days and came back to a dead car.

I got a jump and now it runs perfectly.

I am going to hunt down the shaker fuse and pull it next time I park to see what happens.

I've taken my 05 to 3 different dealerships, for the very same reason and didn't finally get a straight answer, until speaking with a Ford field service engineer..And this may not make any sense, but it appears that this is how Ford designed these cars, and the explanation I got was, each computer has a timer that is running continulessly, in addition each sensor or module also stores computer memory.. for ie there's one for the drop down window module, another for the motion sensor on the alarm system, another for the radio, power door locks, power windows and so on..and if the vehicle sits for more than 10 days and the battery is not fully charged and also if the computer reads less than 9volts, it will automatically drain the remaining voltage as some sort of fail safe protection, that has to do with preserving computer memory..I was also informed that it's even worse, if you start the vehicle and only let sit at idle for 15-20 min. because he claims that sitting at idle, does not rev the rpm's enough to fully keep the battery charged..Therefore, their are only 2 options..either run and drive the vehicle at least once every 5-7 days or install a tender or trickle charger if the vehicle is going to sit more than a week...As I said before, I know this doesn't make much sense and I still don't quite understand it all, but that's just how these cars are now designed..Anyway, hope this helps out in someway...:shrug:

thedrod said:
I know this is an old thread.

But I let my car sit an the Dallas airport for 10 days and came back to a dead car.

I got a jump and now it runs perfectly.

I am going to hunt down the shaker fuse and pull it next time I park to see what happens.
thats what I originally believed too, However it's much more than just the shaker, so I really hate to say this, but pulling the shaker fuse isn't going to solve the problem..In fact I've been going through this problem for almost 2 years..Anyway, If you take a look at my post from earlier today, you may find a possible solution to this problem..anyway, I hope you'll get some use out of it and wish you the best of luck...:nice:

My '06 had this problem recently. Seems to be intermittent. I've let it sit unused for 3 weeks and had no problem, then the time I had a dead battery it had sat for only one week. There have been several threads on this, but the most promising explanation seemd to point to the Shaker 500 amp draining the battery. Someone posted that their problems were solved when the Shaker 500 was replaced following investigation by the Technician and a Ford engineer. My car is going in next Thursday for this to be looked at and I will show the post to them hoping that they'll use it as a guide. Most likely though, all I'll get is the "we couldn't find a problem" answer. Seems like enough people have had this problem that there would be TSB and a fix for it.

Randyp said:
My '06 had this problem recently. Seems to be intermittent. I've let it sit unused for 3 weeks and had no problem, then the time I had a dead battery it had sat for only one week. There have been several threads on this, but the most promising explanation seemd to point to the Shaker 500 amp draining the battery. Someone posted that their problems were solved when the Shaker 500 was replaced following investigation by the Technician and a Ford engineer. My car is going in next Thursday for this to be looked at and I will show the post to them hoping that they'll use it as a guide. Most likely though, all I'll get is the "we couldn't find a problem" answer. Seems like enough people have had this problem that there would be TSB and a fix for it.
The post your referring to, was submitted by me about a year or so ago..and apparanty there's more to it, than just the shaker 500..As I stated before on yesterday, I finally was able to get a complete explanation from a Ford field service engineer..You really should check it out

Randyp said:
if you read my post, from yesterday you'll see why there is no TSB fix for this problem..The information was obtained from a Ford Field Service Engineer and I'm sorry to say, this is how these cars are now designed, like it or not..:shrug:

as a ford tech i have this to say. the ford motocraft batteries really seem to be crap. we replace them constantly on stock units. meaning cars on our lot that may sit for awhile. also. if you dont run your car for a long time yes there actually is a draw. the computer uses some electricity to run your kam. KeepAliveMemory. bring it to your ford dealer and see if they can warranty you a battery.

310stanger said:
as a ford tech i have this to say. the ford motocraft batteries really seem to be crap. we replace them constantly on stock units. meaning cars on our lot that may sit for awhile. also. if you dont run your car for a long time yes there actually is a draw. the computer uses some electricity to run your kam. KeepAliveMemory. bring it to your ford dealer and see if they can warranty you a battery.
As for the Motorcraft Batteries are concerned ?? I couldn't agree more.. In less than 2 years of owning my 05 GT I'm now on my third battery, The first one lasted 2 months and the dealership replaced it due to it having a bad cell and then got 6 months out of the second before it went dead, took it another dealer for a second opinion who claimed that battery more than likely sat on the shelf too long and wasn't fully charged, so they replaced that one as well and was then advised by their feild service engineer to invest in a tender charger and ever since then, I haven't had any dead battery problems..However, I still think that it's rediculous that a brand new car can't sit for more than 10-14 days without it's battery going dead but at least I'll give the dealerships credit for this ?? they did replace both batteries under warranty...Anyway, being that your a Ford tech. perhaps you can answer this for me..Does the electricity that is required to run the keep alive memory, cause enough of a draw to drain these batteries, if they sit for 2 weeks ?? or does it take longer than that ?? The reason why I ask, is because this was also what the feild service engineer explained and this is the explanation that seems to make any logical sense..:shrug:

red05bullitgt said:
As for the Motorcraft Batteries are concerned ?? I couldn't agree more.. In less than 2 years of owning my 05 GT I'm now on my third battery, The first one lasted 2 months and the dealership replaced it due to it having a bad cell and then got 6 months out of the second before it went dead, took it another dealer for a second opinion who claimed that battery more than likely sat on the shelf too long and wasn't fully charged, so they replaced that one as well and was then advised by their feild service engineer to invest in a tender charger and ever since then, I haven't had any dead battery problems..However, I still think that it's rediculous that a brand new car can't sit for more than 10-14 days without it's battery going dead but at least I'll give the dealerships credit for this ?? they did replace both batteries under warranty...Anyway, being that your a Ford tech. perhaps you can answer this for me..Does the electricity that is required to run the keep alive memory, cause enough of a draw to drain these batteries, if they sit for 2 weeks ?? or does it take longer than that ?? The reason why I ask, is because this was also what the feild service engineer explained and this is the explanation that seems to make any logical sense..:shrug:
evidently it does, i havent ever tested the draw from the computer across the power to test but if i remember i will and report back. one thing i can say more then anything is that i think a lot of these batteries although they may start the vehicle dont actually have a full charge which is what i feel to be a big reason on why they go dead. your battery needs to have a full charge to avoid it going dead when its left to sit. personally i highly recommend you guys using a battery tender if at all possible. or even pulling ur batteries and chargin them up then storing them. an easier way may be to jus disconnect the battery. when i perform work on my 5.0 and i know the car is gonna sit i jus disconnect the battery and dont seem to have a problem. granted my car is quite a bit different. but dont feel bad guys, all fords at my work across the board i have replaced batteris in before they even leave the dealer. now one could say that ford engineers the vehicles **** up and be right, another could say that motorcraft batteries suck and you wont be getting any disagreement from me on it.