Dreading Coil Spring Replacement

Strype

Cuthbert catcher
Founding Member
May 11, 1999
Huntsvegas, AL
I have no idea what kind of springs are under this car, but they are obviously the wrong ones. I installed stock springs on the last 5.0 I had and I swore to God above that I'd NEVER do it again. Well looking at this nonsense is driving me mad and I need to lower the front of this car.

I have 17x9s on front and I think 245 tire. 2 questions:

1) I saw a maximum motorsport or some kind of tool that keeps the spring in place while you jack the control arm back up. Is this the preferred method these days? Any other way that's easier?

2) How far can I lower the front on these 17x9 while keeping the inner fender stuff in there?

The car is litterally 3-4 inches high off the tire in the front. The driver's side is worse. And the hood is painted now - old pic. Thanks all!
Sarahs297.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

For the price of coilovers these days and the ease of changing ride height, why not just go that route? I've done them on 3 foxes and an SN car and wouldn't use regular coils ever again.

Reactions: 1 user
This is a thread from a month ago that mentions that mm tool about the 3 or 4 posts down. Even has a vid. Someone else will have to chime in for what springs to use.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/index.php?threads/868855/
Stock Coils

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I saw that but didn't pay attention to the age - I found it via search, lol. Sweet idea. I might go this route.

For the price of coilovers these days and the ease of changing ride height, why not just go that route? I've done them on 3 foxes and an SN car and wouldn't use regular coils ever again.

$469 ain't bad for 4 coilovers! Wow. Too bad I'm poor. :(

$469 ain't bad for 4 coilovers! Wow. Too bad I'm poor. :(

Maybe just do the fronts first since that's what you are most interested in fixing. People abandon projects all the time and sell stuff off for cheap. I don't see any reason why you couldn't get a set for the front for $150.

And the rear springs are a breeze to get in/out. No reason why you couldn't just trim the coils a little until you reach desired ride height.

Reactions: 1 user
Coilovers are great. CHEAP or Chinese make crap isn't worth the hassle of putting on a car. IMO either save up and do it right the first time or wait until you can score a good set used. People always have the money to do it right the 2nd time,

I said I was rude!!! :fuss:

Well I got a flat tire and a crappy running motor anyway so teh springs will have to waitz.

Sorry about teh rude comments. I kinda found out my contract was gone at work in a month and hit it pretty hard for a couple of days. My apologies. Thanks for the help guys.