Drilling Throttle Body for Oil Breather Tube

No.11

10 Year Member
Oct 13, 2009
Los Angeles
Got myself a 65mm explorer throttle body that doesn't have the tube that goes to the oil breather. Anyone know what size should I drill the hole, and can I just take the tube off from a donor TB? Anything else I need to consider when doing this?

• Sponsors (?)

No.11...are you talking about the crank case breather? Why not just run a breather filter instead of drilling the TB?

I am not sure of the OP's exact combination but I can assure you that a breather/filter in the valve cover where the tube from TB to oil filler used to reside will certainly result in a vaccuum leak. Or more appropriately defined as "unmetered" air entering the intake manifold if this is a mass air engine.

vertvert...if it is in the intake then yes. However the OP mentioned that it is on the oil breather. If I'm thinking correctly and the oil breather is on the valve cover then it will not cause unmetered air to enter the engine. The purpose of that breather is to relieve pressure in the crankcase. I have breather elements on both of my cars and I have absolutely no unmetered air entering the system. The OP also mentioned that his TB setup did not come with the provision for the hose that runs from the oil breather. If that's the case then there would be no vacuum loss or unmetered air. My first CAI (on my 03) did not come with a provision for the crankcase breather. I ran the element filter because I had to...never had a problem. If he is talking about some other tube or hose then I'd have to see it to know for sure...

vertvert...if it is in the intake then yes. However the OP mentioned that it is on the oil breather. If I'm thinking correctly and the oil breather is on the valve cover then it will not cause unmetered air to enter the engine. The purpose of that breather is to relieve pressure in the crankcase. I have breather elements on both of my cars and I have absolutely no unmetered air entering the system. The OP also mentioned that his TB setup did not come with the provision for the hose that runs from the oil breather. If that's the case then there would be no vacuum loss or unmetered air. My first CAI (on my 03) did not come with a provision for the crankcase breather. I ran the element filter because I had to...never had a problem. If he is talking about some other tube or hose then I'd have to see it to know for sure...

I see where you are coming from but I did have problems with a filter/breather. It's quite possible I am mistaken about what tube he is talking about. Lets see if he expands on what he is talking about.

EDIT:
If the OP is referring to the short hard plastic tube that runs from the factory throttle body directly to the oil filler on the passenger VC then deleting it and replacing with a filter breather will result in unmetered air entering the intake manifold, via the PCV, during idle. This may or may not result in undesirable idle characteristics. With this tube in place as the factory designed it and connected upstream of the throttle plate but downstream of the MAF the airflow would be as follows at idle: air filter-MAF- this tube we are discussion- to area beneath valve cover- to lifter valley - to pcv valve- to intake manifold- to combustion chamber. Removing this tube and leaving the PCV system intact will allow the intake manifold to suck air from the breather that has not been measured by the MAF. See what I am saying?