Drive shaft angle???

l.groves

Apr 5, 2003
Florida
Driveshaft angle???

Is it normal for a driveshaft to be closer to the passenger side. I have done a 5.0 swap and didn't notice anything - Then installed a aluminum drive shaft- didn't notice anything- went to do a t5 swap and notice scratches on the driveshaft and after installing the t5 took a good look and the shaft is pretty close to the passenger side of the well. My car is lowered and the aluminum driveshaft is larger in circumference than stock. Any body else notice this??? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

It's hitting in a few spots towards the differential. I just went over everthing pulling the cross member off and checking the mount and it looks like the only way to get it straight back is to widen the holes in the crossmember over 1 to 1 1/2 inches. I looked in the Haynes manual and couldn't compare much but one shot of the exhaust looks like the shaft is over in the pic too?

You need UCA or at a minimum UCA bushings. I had the same problem. My D/S was rubbing my pass side muffler (which sat below and to the right of the D/S when the car was jsut sitting there). Changed all of the bushings to Poly and no more problems.

Chris

I was planning on getting new lower control arms because of some wheel hop. Now I'll look into some new bushings for the top too. I would have never guessed that was the problem. Thanks! Only thing is the transmission angle is whats bringing the D/S over. When I had to cut the hole longer for the 5sp to stick through I also had to widen the hole on the passenger side for clearance. If I disconnect the mount and remove the cross member I can push the tranny over and everything is straight. Only problem is the cross member will not line up that way. I've read all the crossmembers are created equal but It sure doesn't look like it.

But if it is not rubbing on anything sitting in place (or even if you cycle the rear end up) then your rear is moving side to side while driving. this is conrolled by the UCAs.

The tranmission is another story. I would make sure the mount is correct and it only bolts in one way right?

Chris

Mounts only one way. I checked. I think part of the problem is my car sits pretty low in the back too. I think its all irrelevant though, since my tranny is deffinately aiming to the passengers side. I checked my motor mounts too. There has got to be a difference with the crossmember unless everyones sits a little crooked.

Is it possible the motor mounts are off? Or did you get the wrong crossmember when you converted to a 5-speed? I thought I read somewhere that the crossmember's different between an AODE and a manual.

Sounds like crossmember to me...I have never heard of the tranny being angled like this...Honestly when I came into this thread it thought it was gonna deal with pinion angle. But yea its gotta be the crossmember unless your car has been in an accident and the frame is crooked :shrug: . Just throwing up ideas.

seems like it is the crossmember to me too, but everyone says they are all the same. It was a convert v6 AODE and I've used the same crossmember all the way through. I kept the v6 AODE tranny mount and compared it to the one on the t5 and it is the same. I guess I'll have to go to ford and check part numbers on the crossmembers. The car had been in two small wrecks but only fender benders.