driveability question, relates to brake pads

K.C.90gt

Founding Member
Jun 5, 2000
Detroit Area, MI
I just got dont redoing the front brakes with some powerslot slotted rotors and hawk performance pads.. problem is the metal clips that hold the outer pads against the caliper broke off on BOTH sides :( . I haven't even driven it yet since I put them on and everything is still new. I still need to breakin the pads and rotors. Thing is I dont know if I will be able to return these pads for a free replacement or not and I dont want to buy new pads if the only thing that can happen is that they wear down faster or something. Does anyone know if those clips are necessary to brake properly or will it just cause them to wear down faster and maybe uneven? Has anyone ever drove with those clips off on the outer pad? just want some input before I go and buy another set if I cant get a replacement... thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

for some reason they hit the inside of my weld wheels and bent when i backed out of my garage.. i dont get it.. the stock pads cleared them just fine and the hawks didnt look any different in size as far as the clips stick out.