Electrical Driver's Lock Switch Wiring

boostfrk

10 Year Member
Aug 30, 2011
Colorado
I just finished installing new lock actuators for the power locks in my '90 LX. The passenger side switch operates both locks perfectly. The driver's switch does nothing.

I checked for voltage across all of combinations of the 5 wires at the back of the switch and get no reading at all. So I'm thinking power isn't getting to the switch.

Leaving the switch there are 5 wires:

- Pink/green
- Pink/yellow
- Black
- Black
- Black (two of the black wires terminate at a single point at the plug connector)

On the other side of the plug connector I've followed the 4 wires back by pulling off some of the electrical tape. I had expected the pink wires to go out to the actuator, but instead they go back towards the front of the door. The two wires going out to the actuator (pink and pink/black) are contained in this same bundle, but I can't find where the junction is.

From what little I've read so far this switch isn't a fused circuit so I don't imagine a fuse is blown.

Where should I be looking to find out why this switch isn't getting power? Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the power lock switches? I looked at TMoss's page and found the one for the power windows, but didn't see anything for the locks.

• Sponsors (?)

89_power_door_locks2.jpg

I used this diagram and figured the black/white wire was the constant power. I traced it back all the way to the door harness inside the cabin. On the cabin side of the harness the wire had power. On the door side, it didn't. I'm not sure what happened, but I ended up just running a new wire from the wire that had constant power inside the car all the way over to the switch. Once it had constant power, the driver's side lock switch works fine.

Still, not sure how the wire lost it's power.

Still frustrating not knowing why that wire lost power from the connector at the body. Makes me a tad nervous running a new wire, but I guess since I disconnected the old one I can't go wrong.

Electrical makes me nervous. Last thing I want is to come home to my house on fire and be told it started in the garage with the Stang.