Driveshaft Bolts

millhouse said:
It's always been my understanding that no swivel attachment should be used on a torque wrench…as they effectively alter the readings. I would think that any type of deflection or movement could have a detrimental effect on the reading of the torque wrench.

As long as you dont change the distance from the Drive itself you are OK, for instance if you put a Dog Bone on the end of your Torque Wrench it extends and you have to use the Formula to fix your torque readings. However you can put the Dog Bone on at 90 Degrees and it is inline with the drive and you do not need to change the torque reading.

• Sponsors (?)

I think Millhouse was wondering about deflection from the swivel socket's joint 'flexing.'

With conventional U-joint universal swivels, this is a highly valid concern (we know how they bind up and flex). But with an air-tool swivel-socket (a unitized swivel and socket) or using an air-tool swivel and a socket, I'd be more confident, especially since there is a rather wide torque range for this fastener. My perspective is from noticing that my air swivel doesn't flex much at all. Others' opinions might vary.

HISSIN50 said:
I think Millhouse was wondering about deflection from the swivel socket's joint 'flexing.'

With conventional U-joint universal swivels, this is a highly valid concern (we know how they bind up and flex). But with an air-tool swivel-socket (a unitized swivel and socket) or using an air-tool swivel and a socket, I'd be more confident, especially since there is a rather wide torque range for this fastener. My perspective is from noticing that my air swivel doesn't flex much at all. Others' opinions might vary.

Your right inline with my thinking. I really don't have much experience with the heavy duty air too swivel sockets...although they do appear to be a better design. Now...even though they can take some serious torque, I'd still be curious as to the error in reading with a torque wrench.

None of my Flex Sockets have that kind of play that could throw off a torque reading by much if any. Universal Sockets are legal to use in the Aircraft Industry in which Torque is critical. The Driveshaft Bolts have a Torque Spec of 71-95 Ft Lbs, so you go right to the middle at 83 Ft Lbs and you are safe in your Torque Wrench's Calibration.