Driveshaft hitting muffler...

My driveshaft is rubbing on my muffler. When I get under the car and look there is less than a cm of space between the shaft and muffler, and whenever I get in the car and drive around I can hear and feel it rubbing and clanking.

My car has flowmasters on it, so it's not the stock exhaust. I was just thinking what the problem could be and I was wondering, could it be that the catback was put on flip-flopped, the driver side on the passenger side and the passenger side on the driver side, or does that even matter? One thing that seems strange to me is that the flowmaster stamping on my mufflers is facing up towards the floor of the car. Maybe I need to flip it over?

I'm pretty clueless, obviously. Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Driver side shown from rear.this is how it should look installed.could your rubber hanger (arrow) have broken,causing the cat back to shift?:shrug:
HPIM2565-1.jpg

here's another pic,overall shot.
HPIM2472.jpg

are they bolt on or welded in?if there bolted in,did you try to adjusting them?

snug up all the cat back bolt,not tight,just tight enough to hold the cat back in place,but you can still move them by hand.adjust so everything clears all suspension parts and frame,also your DS by a 1/2 inch.check your tailpipes,make sure they are even at the bumper.slowly tighten bolts up,making sure everything stay's aligned.check your clearances before you lower the car.

Just climb underneath, loosen off the nuts holding the H-pipe and cat back together and readjust it. Make sure your hangers aren't bent or out of place and you should be alright. Most systems can be a little finicky at time. I know my old Mac set up on my Fox was.

The problem is not your DS hitting your Muffler is your Muffler being to close to your DS. Do as Banger said, just loosen up the pipe and use a crowbar and move it over some. Should be fine.

I had a problem when my stock control arm bushings were toast... it went from barely noticable to horrendous when I installed the 3.73s... I would readjust the muffler, then if it still hits look into new bushings...