Driveshaft Loop Tech

89MustangGX

I have nothing productive to add!
Jul 3, 2001
Mill Creek, WA
Hello,
I just put my driveshaft loop on the car, and I am a little unsure now (after I did it of course!) about the spacing. The center of my loop is right at 6 inches from the front u-joint -- so it's half within 6 inches, half over 6 inches...approximately. Is this correct installation?

EDIT- more info. I was measuring from the back fo the tranny, the diagram in the NHRA book seems to show measuring at the front of the driveshaft tube. Also, it seems even doing it the way I originally thought, I would be ok, as it also shows measuring to the front edge of the loop, so I would be within 6 inches that way, and within about 4 inches the other way.

Any input?

• Sponsors (?)

tvmango said:
my directions said to mount mine 4 inches behind the universal,, just fyi

My directions said 4 inches as well, but I started questioning it afterwards. It sounds like yours si the same way as mine. So yours is about 4 inches from the front of the driveshaft tube - which is where mine is. The specs call for a 6" max, but I was wondering if it's measured from where? That's why I looked a the diagram and it shows at front fo the tube, meaning we are both ok. If it was the front of the u-joint, we'd be on the edge.

???

Adam sounds like it is fine to me, it is placed in the tube area the u-joint is totally in front of the loop, this way if the joint fails it keeps the shaft in the loop.

My suggestion if your loops is a 2 piece design is to weld it together so the bolts will never rub your (I assume you will have an alum) driveshaft.

Rick 91GT said:
Adam sounds like it is fine to me, it is placed in the tube area the u-joint is totally in front of the loop, this way if the joint fails it keeps the shaft in the loop.

My suggestion if your loops is a 2 piece design is to weld it together so the bolts will never rub your (I assume you will have an alum) driveshaft.

Thanks Rick -- the location was one of the things I looked at when I was deciding on where to put it. I figured if I put it too far forward it would do no good. Glad I got it right!

Anyway, this loop I got is the FMS/HPM unit, seems really nice. Plenty of room there, it's actually more like a trapezoid shape, and the bolts are way out on the sides, so no rubbing issues I can see. I was surprised at how much room there is.

Thanks!

00 Red SS said:
any pics?

None right now...car's not in a good spot for taking pics. It's kinda low to the ground and I don't want to raise it back until I am ready to finiosh the suspension (no rear end or suspension in car right now).

Black331Stang said:
Are u worried about the fitment, like if it will rub or whatnot, or the Legality of where u placed it?

I was worried about legality of where I placed it. With the design of this one, I am not the slightest bit worried about rubbing. It actually fits up to the top of the tranny tunnel, comes down right along the sides almost to the exhaust. Plenty of room.

5.0GT said:
What all do you have to remove from the interior to put the thing on? I got one for free from my friend, and will be putting it on when I get my aluminum driveshaft. Also, what size drill bits do I have to use for the thing?

Thanks

I have the whole interior of my car out, so nothing extra for me. You could do it by removing the seats, the kick panels, and the plastic that holds down the carpet next to each door. I started with a smaller bit, but ultimate size was 3/8".