Drivin stangs in the winter

• Sponsors (?)

That white stuff in my Avatar isn't white beach sand! :D

I grew up driving Mustangs in the snow. Just seems natural to me. It helps to polish up on the ole driving skills. I came home from work at about 3:00am back in December during a snow storm. Started going up a hill and the tires lost traction :eek: . Fortunately I had re-enabled the traction control (I have the TC mod) and the tires grabbed again. Let me tell ya; Ford's traction control DOES work. Even with a KB supercharger on it. :nice: Since then I put my blizzacks back on and I have 140 lbs. of trunk sand in the back. :) Mustangs were made to be driven.

BTW, I have a worse problem than snow; it is called komakozi deer. Within two weeks and with two different cars, I was hit in the left rear quarter panel by friggin deer! They run into your freakin car at night when you drive by. They come out of no-where. The second one hit my Mustang. :mad: , but I was able to swerve to the right a little so the impact did not cause any damage. I HATE DEER!

Red Dragon said:
Mustangs were made to be driven.

i honestly don't think engineer at ford thought of how to drive mustang in snow dude....If they did, they did one sucky job. But I would love to drive car all year around if it wasn't the fact solt on ground....

Red Dragon said:
komakozi deer

yeah them KAMIKAZE deer..... got them alot here in back woods of upstate New York...So many, infact I feel like Battleship at Okinawa during WWs1945 try to fight off Kami attack... :nonono:

Red Dragon said:
That white stuff in my Avatar isn't white beach sand! :D

I grew up driving Mustangs in the snow. Just seems natural to me. It helps to polish up on the ole driving skills. I came home from work at about 3:00am back in December during a snow storm. Started going up a hill and the tires lost traction :eek: . Fortunately I had re-enabled the traction control (I have the TC mod) and the tires grabbed again. Let me tell ya; Ford's traction control DOES work. Even with a KB supercharger on it. :nice: Since then I put my blizzacks back on and I have 140 lbs. of trunk sand in the back. :) Mustangs were made to be driven.

BTW, I have a worse problem than snow; it is called komakozi deer. Within two weeks and with two different cars, I was hit in the left rear quarter panel by friggin deer! They run into your freakin car at night when you drive by. They come out of no-where. The second one hit my Mustang. :mad: , but I was able to swerve to the right a little so the impact did not cause any damage. I HATE DEER!
:stupid:

Just the other day i was at a stop light at like 5:00am and this mustang just loses control in the middle of the intersection and hits the the curb in the middle of the road does another 360 hits another car with it's back end. then it goes back on the other side of the intersection and i another car hits it. by that time 4 cars have already hit the first car that the mustang hit. Poor stang :( you got to be carefull

My car is in the yard covered in snow, I haven't driven it in over a month. The salt around here is amazing right now, every vehicle on the road is crusted with the stuff. I can practically hear my Bronco rusting as I sit here.....

I know. My 2002 V6 Mustang was encrusted with salt. I just went to the carwash and pressure washed the salt off. There's nothing you can do with this problem. I use my V6 Mustang as my daily driver. I know that it will someday have some rust on it, but what the hell. By then it will be old and have lots of miles on it and it will be time to buy another brand new Mustang again. Enjoy your Mustang. Don't be afraid to drive it in the snow and slat. Nothing lasts forever.

stangsun.jpg

snowwwwwwwwww!

I'm 19 so I cant afford a beater( way to many payments left and a lot of mods to do). I bought some snow tires and put 200 pounds in the trunk and it moves very nicely in the snow. my g/f has a private round and they all have 4x4s cause its dirt so you cant plow it and i was able to make it down it with no problem. There hondas and there trucks out of 4x4 have some trouble but mine didnt. The only problem is you have to drive the the traction control off it turns on sometimes and you can get stuck if your not careful

Absolutely. It's my only vehicle. I have 300 lbs of
sand tubes in the trunk. That seems to help (a little).
Just have to allow for extra commute time to work
and learn not to worry about the people behind you-
(let them wreck if they're in such a hurry). I take it
easy with the throttle and don't have a problem
spinning out. Starting out on a hill is quite a challenge
though. I'm getting snow tires for next year though.
The way I see it, is that the price of snow tires more
than makes up for the price and headaches of a secondary
"beater" car that you have to register, insure, park, and
make repairs on. Just not worth it IMHO plus you still get
the satisfaction of driving the Stang year/round. A lot of
people don't see it that way though. And as far as salt, it
does not bother me. It will wash off. Take good care of your
car and it will still rust eventually, so have fun with it while
you can. That's my philosophy.

and you live in sacramento? i didnt know it snowed in sacramento. ya i live in detroit and i was drivin my stang down a curvy road a couple days ago and i hit a patch of snow on the side of the road and i completely lost control of the car, fortunately there were no cars coming the other way or that thing would be toast.

My V6 Mustang is all white now from driving in the salty roads up here. I need to go back to the car wash and pressure wash the salt off. Believe me, you cannot do anything except pressure wash your car when it get covered with salt. The car will start to rust with age when you drive it in the wintertime in the snow and salt. But who cares? All cars start will look worn out and have rust on them when you put a lot of miles on them. The only cars which I see that look like brand new without rust on them up here are the ones which are never driven which have ultra low miles on them. Or the ones which have been fully restored. And there are very few of them around. I would drive the Mustang and put the miles on it and just recondition it and do body work to it when it gets older and starts to rust. This way you can hold on to it longer and own a reconditioned older Mustang.

Up until about 3 weeks ago, mine was in the shop and I was driving our Cobra to work. I got it back :D , drove it for a week, and then we get all this nasty weather in VA. :( It's been in the garage for the passed two weeks. I finally drove it yesterday and today because all the sand/salt is off the roads. In the meantime, during any bad weather, my best friend loaned me her '94 Corolla which handles like a charm. I won't dare take my Saleen out in any bad weather. :nonono:

The main thing is to stay out of torque and be gentle with steering, throttle and brakes.

I drove through the mountains on stock tires over packed snow for several hours lunking just off idle most of the time, tenderfooted the throttle and brakes.

Crazy. Nerve racking... and damn my leg was sore after that, but I didn't lose it.