Driving a Stang in the snow

TheDon

Sep 9, 2007
To make a long story short, a guy on another forum is looking to trade his 03' GT w/ 55k for my Jeep. The problem is, I rely on my vehicles for transportation to work (I'm in college), which is really important. I can't expect the mustang to be as reliable as a 4x4 but is it driveable?

• Sponsors (?)

Last edited by TheDon : Today at 10:52 AM. Reason: horrible spelling

lol. atleast you caught yourself, its tough diving a stand.

uhh, well, im looking to hold onto my stang AND pick up a cheap jeep, primarily for the snow. a stang is do-able, but it can be scary as hell. with the right tires, and some weight in the back, you can survive in most snowy situations, but you'll mostly be white-knuckling it whereever you go.

I drove my '02 GT through two Saskatchewan and one Ohio winter(s).. On the stock gatorbacks :eek:

Never again though.. I have a focus with winter tires for my DD now.

The key is weight in the back and traction control definitely helps. 2nd gear is your friend when taking off.

You just need to be very very careful and sure about what you do and how quickly you do it (i.e. make turns). Give yourself plenty of time to stop and take it easy around corners. That rear-end wants to kick out all the time..

And when the snow flies **CHANGE YOUR DRIVING HABITS PEOPLE!!!**. Snow is slippery. The roads are slippery. You can't expect to take a left turn at 35mph and not spin out or hammer the brakes last minute at a red light..

Sometimes it would be great though. Whenever my friends would drive with me and I'd downshift from 3rd to 2nd the back end would start sliding out.. The looks on their faces would be priceless.. :rlaugh:

Riley

Once you do a full 360 and end up on the other side of the road with cars coming towards you...

youll figure out.. keep the stang at home. I call off work when theres too much snow for my stang to handle.

Having 1 car for year around that cant handle all the weather patterns SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stang in snow = meh... It's possible, I did it a couple times after buying $800 worth of snow wheels/tires...which now don't fit because of my big brakes lol... Snow tires are key as others have mentioned, also traction control might sound like a good idea, but it is DEFINITELY NOT - a couple times I almost got killed by the car limiting me and not being able to get outa a tough spot while oncoming traffic was about to rizzape me.

Stang in snow = meh... It's possible, I did it a couple times after buying $800 worth of snow wheels/tires...which now don't fit because of my big brakes lol... Snow tires are key as others have mentioned, also traction control might sound like a good idea, but it is DEFINITELY NOT - a couple times I almost got killed by the car limiting me and not being able to get outa a tough spot while oncoming traffic was about to rizzape me.

Well, TC is only on 99+ stangs? Well i know for sure it wasnt even an option on 96-98 stangs :notnice:

The problem with Stangs in winter is not snow, it is ice. When I lived in Detroit, I spun my Stang 2 times in one block and after that, I said I would never drive it in snow again. I dusted of my daily driver with a busted 3rd gear and started driving it instead.

Then I moved to Georgia.:nice:

I am from Buffalo. You wanna talk about driving in the snow? Yes.....it is possible. You just have to have the right tire like people are telling you. I too have an 03 gt and it is my only car. It has seen 2 seasons of winter and I have yet to be in an accident. This may also have sumthing to do with the driver. Just be careful.

In my opinion driving mustangs in the snow should be against the mustang code of honor. Salt is murder on these cars rotting it from the belly up. I can't think of anything worse than wrenching on a rusty car. Breaking bolts that won't come loose, rust dropping in my eyes...ugh. I put my car in storage for winters and simply drive something else.

Mustangs suck in the snow.

That's why in about another month it goes in the garage and I drive the 95 YJ until next April.

Besides it saves some mileage on the stang and the YJ loves the snow.

In my opinion driving mustangs in the snow should be against the mustang code of honor. Salt is murder on these cars rotting it from the belly up. I can't think of anything worse than wrenching on a rusty car. Breaking bolts that won't come loose, rust dropping in my eyes...ugh. I put my car in storage for winters and simply drive something else.

It's just a Mustang, not a ferrarri. :shrug:

I've driven Mustangs in the snow every winter, and i don't really have any rust issues. I just rinse the undercarraige VERY well every chance i get when the temp goes above 32 degrees. Not a spec of rust, even on my '88 (which is no longer a DD)

as long as your tires have tread (mine were bald my first winter) with 2 50lb sand/salt bags in the trunk, you should be fine. dont let this be a reason for not getting the car. i think it helps if you go into a large parking lot (without or with widely spaced light poles) right after it snows and you can really get a good feel for your car. after my first winter im a much better driver in bad weather now. this will be my third winter in detroit and other than it being cold with the salt i look forward to it. i love driving in the neighborhood right after it snows and swangin around corners:D

ps- traction control is useless, like said before, its better to spin and actually move than to go nowhere with traffic coming right at you

Untitled.jpg

My 04 GT need I say more?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 96