Driving your mustang yr round

1SIKSOL

Nov 13, 2010
ok so i my mustang is my only car and i have to drive it all winter. and wow what fun thats turned out to be. the locks freeze every day, 2% throttle and its spinning and side ways i have winter tires but i dont think they even helped it. and was think of of sand baggin the trunk.

any one else drive yours yr round?

150209_1653642976356_1095489641_3206965_4819469_n.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I drive one of my '86 Capris during the winter... I just don't drive it when there's snow on the ground.

Sounds like you've been slacking on the maintenance... you need to take the door panels off and lube everything like the lock linkages, window guides, etc., graphite lube in the lock cylinders, lithium on the door and hatch hinges... get the point.... the car is 18+ years old and cold weather is rough on even a new vehicle.

I didn't catch where you were, but it looks cold ! I drive mine year round but we only have slick roads 2 or 3 times a year, and it's sssscary in my car ! You might try a keyless remote for the frozen door locks ? A cheap car alarm will usually provide them.

put sand bags or something in the trunk. (something you can take out and put back later) that will make a huge change with bad weather traction but to much will kill steering.

Been daily driving mine since 05. I even went one winter with ET streets on back (not the smartest thing ive ever done) I normally throw a 200lb of sand bags in the back and take it slow when its nasty out. I have some ranger wheels with snow tires for it this year. If it gets really bad I'll just take my wife's fusion though.

For many years, a lowered '86 t-bird (also a Fox platform) was my DD that I also used in the winter.

People drove rear-wheel drive cars in the winter long before there was front wheel drive, ABS, traction control, etc. It was harder, but doable.

However, today, most of the vehicles today have ABS. So, IMHO, today, any vehicle that doesn't have ABS and is driven in the winter snow/ice is a HUGE risk because other vehicles can stop in much shorter distances, but the non ABS equipped vehicle will plow into the stopped vehicles.

Any vehicle that can not stop in time is AT FAULT - PERIOD! It does NOT matter if some jerk just slams on their brakes in the middle of the highway with no other cars around. Any vehicle that fails to stop in time, for any reason, was following too close and/or going too fast.

Uhm, my '86 Stang has ABS (from a 97 Cobra), so my Stang is all set for winter driving also. I do drive it ~once every two weeks in the winter when the streets and weather is nice. I have a full set of Blizzaks because my summer-only ultra performance tires are a death trap when the temps go below ~45F! With summer-only tires, on the highway during the middle of winter, even with 100% dry pavement, at night when the temps are below ~30F, it can be impossible to stay in a lane and go over 45MPH.

Yea, do a 40+mile drive on the highway at speeds below 40MPH, praying that you can keep the car in the slow lane and just the slow lane, praying that a cop doesn't show up, and you learn very quickly what SUMMER-ONLY tires really means. :O

But, back to the T-bird (Fox platform) and driving in winter snow:
Requirements:
1) **REAL** SNOW TIRES!! NOT those stupid cr*p all-season sh** tires. I'm talking TRUE SNOW ONLY TIRES! I love Blizzaks! I strongly suggest that you get a spare set of rims. Tires are not made to be put on/off rims.

2) Securely put sand/etc as far back in the trunk as you can. I love " Quikrete Tube Sand". QUIKRETE® - Sand - Tubesand®

3) Keep the gas tank topped off. That adds even more weight.

4) Do not use "wide" snow tires. For a Stang, a 215/225 is a good snow tire width - nothing wider!

5) Get the anti-slip rear end disks in the differential replaced, or get the whole guts of the diff replaced with a better unit/type.

6) Use studs or chains if the law and conditions permit.

Last, not a requirement, but putting ABS in a Fox stang is a huge help for winter driving (actually, stopping. :)) But, it requires an sn95 5-lug upgrade on all 4 wheels, adding a 94->97 ABS unit, doing a few new brake lines, some brake line routing, and adding the wiring. A number of people have done it.

As for cost and time. I did it for $2.54 and I did it all under 5mins. Yup, and pigs fly out of my ***. ;) In reality, you're looking at 2-6 days just to add the ABS setup to an existing sn95 brake setup on a Stang that already has the abs sensors and rings. Cost is very dependent on what you can get from the junkyard, classifieds, ebay, etc. Getting all of the needed connectors is a big issue.

But, hey, I'm sure that people will tell you that you can do the 5-lug upgrade, new rims & tires, all ABS stuff, have the car covered in diamonds, for a max of cost $25 and do it in under a day while guzzling many six packs of beer. Yup, just check the past forum posts.

Good Luck with your Stang in the snow! Yea, it may not be easy, but it is possible to drive.

For many years, a lowered '86 t-bird (also a Fox platform) was my DD that I also used in the winter.

People drove rear-wheel drive cars in the winter long before there was front wheel drive, ABS, traction control, etc. It was harder, but doable.

However, today, most of the vehicles today have ABS. So, IMHO, today, any vehicle that doesn't have ABS and is driven in the winter snow/ice is a HUGE risk because other vehicles can stop in much shorter distances, but the non ABS equipped vehicle will plow into the stopped vehicles.

Any vehicle that can not stop in time is AT FAULT - PERIOD! It does NOT matter if some jerk just slams on their brakes in the middle of the highway with no other cars around. Any vehicle that fails to stop in time, for any reason, was following too close and/or going too fast.

Uhm, my '86 Stang has ABS (from a 97 Cobra), so my Stang is all set for winter driving also. I do drive it ~once every two weeks in the winter when the streets and weather is nice. I have a full set of Blizzaks because my summer-only ultra performance tires are a death trap when the temps go below ~45F! With summer-only tires, on the highway during the middle of winter, even with 100% dry pavement, at night when the temps are below ~30F, it can be impossible to stay in a lane and go over 45MPH.

Yea, do a 40+mile drive on the highway at speeds below 40MPH, praying that you can keep the car in the slow lane and just the slow lane, praying that a cop doesn't show up, and you learn very quickly what SUMMER-ONLY tires really means. :O

But, back to the T-bird (Fox platform) and driving in winter snow:
Requirements:
1) **REAL** SNOW TIRES!! NOT those stupid cr*p all-season sh** tires. I'm talking TRUE SNOW ONLY TIRES! I love Blizzaks! I strongly suggest that you get a spare set of rims. Tires are not made to be put on/off rims.

2) Securely put sand/etc as far back in the trunk as you can. I love " Quikrete Tube Sand". QUIKRETE® - Sand - Tubesand®

3) Keep the gas tank topped off. That adds even more weight.

4) Do not use "wide" snow tires. For a Stang, a 215/225 is a good snow tire width - nothing wider!

5) Get the anti-slip rear end disks in the differential replaced, or get the whole guts of the diff replaced with a better unit/type.

6) Use studs or chains if the law and conditions permit.

Last, not a requirement, but putting ABS in a Fox stang is a huge help for winter driving (actually, stopping. :)) But, it requires an sn95 5-lug upgrade on all 4 wheels, adding a 94->97 ABS unit, doing a few new brake lines, some brake line routing, and adding the wiring. A number of people have done it.

As for cost and time. I did it for $2.54 and I did it all under 5mins. Yup, and pigs fly out of my ***. ;) In reality, you're looking at 2-6 days just to add the ABS setup to an existing sn95 brake setup on a Stang that already has the abs sensors and rings. Cost is very dependent on what you can get from the junkyard, classifieds, ebay, etc. Getting all of the needed connectors is a big issue.

But, hey, I'm sure that people will tell you that you can do the 5-lug upgrade, new rims & tires, all ABS stuff, have the car covered in diamonds, for a max of cost $25 and do it in under a day while guzzling many six packs of beer. Yup, just check the past forum posts.

Good Luck with your Stang in the snow! Yea, it may not be easy, but it is possible to drive.

I did my brake install in under a day, granted i worked for a straight 18 hours, but i did it. However i dont drink so no beer was installed. Its not that hard when you understand how a double flare and a bubble flare tool works.

But I have been interested in adding ABS with a switch to be turned on and off. Got a write up for me?

Heres my yearly driver.No studs no chains no nothing.Front tires are yokes 225/50/16 amd rears are also yokes and are 255/50/16.Last year since i got high centered is all that stopped me from going anywhere! peace

downsized_05010909361.jpg

john:p

I drove my 1990 LX coupe 2.3 (first car) year round and it was tricky. Snow tires and 200lbs of sand will be a big improvement, but still won't be great with the torque these little 302's make.

i did my fair share of snow-stanging...10 years worth. I did it well without incident...but it was always stressful.

I specifically bought my '03 Gt with ABS/TC just for that little edge.

Eventually, i got tired of it and sold the car for an AWD car that can be driven year-round. MUCH more relaxed when i drive. A set of snow tires, AWD, and a traction/yaw stability control system that is out of this world make a drive in 6-8" of snow feel like any other drive.

Seriously...i've gone out in a blizzard when nobody else was out just to go get a coffee and play in the snow. I couldn't get the damn car stuck. Hell...i'm watching the weather forecast now WAITING for snow. :)

I know driver makes a big difference here...but so does your equipment. I would never drive a Mustang in the snow again if I could avoid it

I drive a vert year round....with no heat. It was 28 degrees this morning in Georgia. We hardly ever get any snow.

i did that for a year in my 67 vert with no heat but drove it year round thru high school and a few years after before parking it for restoration. im in VA and it was a PITA, i slid off the road many times and did 3 360's @ 50mph on the highway going home but never damaged the car besides one dumbass tow guy bent my rear valance pulling it out. :mad:

We had an '83 T-Bird with the V8 and Traction-Lok. I can remember sitting at an icy redlight with my foot on the brake and the rear tires were spinning as it idled, and the rear was going sideways ! I had to really clamp down on the brake to get it to stop, rather embarrasing. I definately had the wrong tires on it.