Dropped an engine hoist on my foot! With pics!

• Sponsors (?)

Also, i thought that steel toed boots were desigend so that if something seriously heavy did fall on them, it would cut the toes clean off so they could be reattached later, rather than them being squished for life.

Nope, keep an eye out for mythbusters repeats, they even went overboard putting a hell of a lot of weight on the steel toe and the sides just bowed out and smashed the toes. Steel toe boots are designed to protect your feet from dropped tools and items under 500 pounds, they aren't meant to have thousands of pounds dropped on them, or have fork lifts run over them.

Them's some hairy hobbit's feet you got there, Frodo. :D

I'd still worry about circulation problems with all of that swelling and such going on there. The purple is basically bleeding that's taken place under the skin, and that blood has to get reabsorbed into the system somehow before it causes problems (blood clots, infection, etc.). If the pain goes away completely within the next week or so, that is NOT a good sign - nerve damage for sure, possible infection. Worst-case scenario is that it turns gangreinous and they have to lop off your foot completely; best-case scenario, your toes will never flex quite right and possibly give you a bit of a funny walk, and you'll have one more thing to ache and snap-crackle-pop when it comes time for a rainstorm (any joint I've ever damaged seems to wind up becoming sensitive to weather changes). Either way, you're gonna probably have to wind up seeing the doc at some point, anyhow.

Hairy hobbits feet LOL

I can walk on it alot better so far, hobbling slightly but alot better, the toes will bend forward and backward, it's when you try to spread them out or move some in a slightly different direction than the others that they hurt. Nail and middle toe still has lumps of blood on the top and bottom.

go to canada, find a hospital and tell them to fix your toes, just make sure you say "A" after every thing you say and it should go flawlessly!!! hope you feel better and see a doctor!!!!!!!!!!!:nice:

This shows the importance of 1. Wearing steel toes when doing heavy jobs like pulling engines 2. pulling an engine out evenly 3. having medical insurance 4. going to the doctor.

If this happened to me, medical insurance or not, my ass is going to the doctor. You could get gangrene, it could heal wrong, get infected etc.

This shows the importance of 1. Wearing steel toes when doing heavy jobs like pulling engines 2. pulling an engine out evenly 3. having medical insurance 4. going to the doctor.

If this happened to me, medical insurance or not, my ass is going to the doctor. You could get gangrene, it could heal wrong, get infected etc.

Number 3 I cant fix, I was given a permanent decline for health insurance from Blue Cross Blue Shield after I tried to get insurance in my own name years ago. Those f@$ers! :mad:

Hospitals have a way of telling you they will work something out with you as far as payment goes and then they just up and turn you over to the collection agency, my credit is banged up enough from doctor bills.

I can move around alottttt better today, toe still looks like a sack of a$$holes though. Im gonna try to squeeze the blood out from under the nail so it doesnt just sit there forever.

Canada has some pretty interesting philosophies on health care. Most of the stuff is extremely reduced rates/free.

If you don't get the blood out from under the nail, it will fall off. That sucks a bunch, trust me, I had to have one removed. Heat up a needle, and stick it through the nail. You may have to do it several times. That will let the blood/puss out.

I squeezed the blood out from under the nail a minute ago and tried to heat up a thumb tack to put through the lump of blood on the bottom of the toe, the tack wasnt sharp enough, so I used scissors. Washed both sides out with peroxide, added Neosporin, we will see how that does.

Losing the nail is no big deal, I kicked a window unit ac at my cousin's house while sleeping on the couch one time, I was in a fight in this dream I was having, I threw a Cro Cop style headkick and Ill be damned if I didnt try to actually do it in my sleep! Big toe nail had alot of blood under it and I squeezed it out, the nail later fell off, which was good because I get ingrown big toe nails.

I have actually had an ingrown toenail years ago that was much WORSE than this whole engine hoist on foot fiasco. Lucky for you guys I didnt have a digital camera then, or pics would be posted. ;) It involved the doctor cutting half the sumbitch out, eeeek!

Took another picture this morning

View attachment 408635

The other day I squeezed the blood from under the middle nail, then I tried to heat up a thumb tack and stab the blood lump on the bottom of the toe to drain it, it didnt work, so I got out the scissors! :eek: The middle nail has been trying to fall off, fugger keeps getting snagged in my sock! :mad:

It's doing somewhat better, walking on it for long periods makes it start throbbing. I tripped over the damn engine hoist last night and managed to bang that foot on it! :doh:

Thats worse than the time I smashed my thumb with a sledgehammer, or the time I banged my kneecap full steam ahead with a framing hammer, or even the time a legpress footplate fell on my shins after the pin fell out of the rack. Probably about as bad as having my wisdom teeth crushed to pieces whillst still in my jaw after the dentist spent 1.5 hours trying to pull them out whole