Dropping the tranny throw out bearing ?

93mustang fox#1

Founding Member
Aug 14, 2002
Orlando Fl
Hey if pull the tranny by just taking it off of the bellhousing how do i get the throwout bearing to realign when i put it back in. And is there any other good ways of taking it out. Anyone's suggestion is helpful.
Thanks
Chris

• Sponsors (?)

Just stick you hand in the bell housing and line it up. I used a flashlight so I could see what I was doing. (garage not lit well, yet)
On mine, I remove the x-pipe, shifter handle, driveshaft, clutch cable and wires. Then place a floor jack under the tranny, loosen the bolts at the bellhousing then crossmember. Than get a buddy and start tuggin'. I've removed by myself before... :notnice: not fun, not impossible, just not fun.

Good luck..Jim

Why are you pulling the tranny?? bad throwout bearing?? Is it making noise?? Throwout bearings will sometimes make noises if the clutch is not adjusted tight enough.

the throwout bearing goes around the input shaft on the tranny, and is only going to go in one way.

The throw out bearing can easily be done without removing the bellhousing, but the pilot bearing is a different story. I would take everything out to do the pilot bearing. The pilot bearing is very aggravating to get out, as far as special tools to get it out, I dont know if one exsists. What I do is use a slide hammer(or dent puller). Also if you don't loosen up the clutch, and just slide the tranny out without the bell, you shouldn't have to realign it.

I may be wrong but I don't see going into it that far and not replacing the pilot bushing. What ya think? When you say take everything out , does that mean the clutch? Does the clutch have to come out? I have a slidehammer but it is for bearing removal, explain how you do it with yours so I can see it with my minds eye. I had the clutch replaced about 25k ago( easy miles) but that freakin squellin is driving me crazy.

I'm in the middle of all this - a fair amount of work is involved.
1a Remove driveshaft
1b. Remove H-pipe between headers and mufflers. Disconnect any wires connected to transmission, O2 sensors, speedo cable etc.
2. Remove transmission
3. Remove bell housing - the clutch release fork comes out with the bell housing and the throwout bearing sits in the middle of this - it slides right out.
4. Remove pressure plate
5. Remove friction plate (will fall out unless you have an alignment tool)
6. Remove flywheel
7. Now you can remove the pilot bearing - it is a bitch to get out - I used the hydraulic grease method - pack it with bearing grease, and then find a socket or extension that will barely fit it in the hole and whack it with a hammer- I used a 4" extension that fit perfectly - if you use a socket, I would worry that it would get stuck in there as you have to keep pulling it out and packing more grease in as the bearing comes out - The bearing is about 2" in diameter.
8. Remove rear main seal - this is also a trip!

I sheared 2 bolts - one on the header flange and the speedo cable bolt - had to drill both out, and then tap them.

Installation is the reverse except I am using new flywheel and driveshaft bolts. Make sure you got a good torque wrench and loctite for the flywheel and driveshaft bolts (new ones come with the stuff already on them).

Have fun - I'm at the point of reinstalling my tranny on my own - this appears to be the hardest part - might need help.

Howard