drove an 05 today.... impressions.

billfisher

Jul 17, 2005
huntsville, AL
sound: idle sounded VERY good. still quiet under load. sounded like an "X" at idle without the loud at WOT.

tranny: auto. sloppy shifts WOT. 5 speed was strange. traction off: chirped but that's all. a little sqeal in 1st with no shift chirps.(torque management)

torque: suprising for a 4.6. off idle to WOT shift excellent. it really had 300+lb-ft. loves to rev quickly.

hp: fair, but not great. being an auto hurt it of course, but still just so-so.

soft ride with very good turn in.

rating: 6 out of 10.

stock 99-04 8 out of 10 . feels like a stang. 99-04 feels like a 66/289 hi-po to me.

the 05 didn't feel like a stang. it felt like my wife's youngest son's lincoln LS v8.

• Sponsors (?)

Stock the 05-06s are nothing too exciting but with the usual mods gears, exhaust, intake, and programmer they can move pretty well. I was pretty suprised by how well the modded one I drove pulled.
My only gripes the drivers seat belt is hard to grab and the stock seats offer no support.

billfisher said:
sound: idle sounded VERY good. still quiet under load. sounded like an "X" at idle without the loud at WOT.

tranny: auto. sloppy shifts WOT. 5 speed was strange. traction off: chirped but that's all. a little sqeal in 1st with no shift chirps.(torque management)

torque: suprising for a 4.6. off idle to WOT shift excellent. it really had 300+lb-ft. loves to rev quickly.

stock 99-04 8 out of 10 . feels like a stang. 99-04 feels like a 66/289 hi-po to me.

the 05 didn't feel like a stang. it felt like my wife's youngest son's lincoln LS v8.

WOW, thats EXACTLY what I said about it lol. I felt "detached" from the car, like a remote pilot. I compared it to a luxury sedan. Looks like our stang feelers are the same haha.

I was happy to jump back in my 04 and feel instantly connected with it and feel as though I knew exactly what the car was doing.

Cantslowdown said:
I drive them alot at work..I like them in ways they seem to be more of a car you can jump in and take a road trip in and feel comfy..I kinda do like the car but in ways i dont but thats just my thoughts..
so do I. I like the way they drive. Remind me of sitting in a big ass muscle car. do something about the boring hood and back end, we have a winner.

billfisher said:

I feel that my car would smoke a stock/auto one, but stock for stock, it would kill me. I drove the auto version and it felt more balanced, no rattles, just all around a better built car. Didnt feel that much quicker, but the shifts came faster.

I like the looks of the 05s but I also love the looks of are 99-04s. The 05s are fast stock. I had one behind me a few weeks back and I floored it off the light and he was still right behind me when I looked back at around 50mph.

Just curious and not trying to pick a fight....but how many have actually been able to truly compare the 05+ to the 99-04's stock for stock. A bunch of you that have driven the 05's have quite a few mods. Not saying that you don't remember what your car was like stock...but once you get used to the mods, I'd think it would be harder to remember just how the car drove stock. So is it really a fair comparison? Just a thought.

The 05 has improved in every way, little by little, over the 99-04's.

I'm really surprised you thought the auto shifted sloppy. The 05's shift quicker than the 99-04 4r70w's...so they much be more of a "slop":shrug: Which I don't think so...

Spinning tires isn't a sign of power.

It took it a while to grow on me, but I finally like the S197's. The only stipulation I have is that I like them in any colour, as long as it's black…the rear spoiler needs to be deleted and that all of the factory wheels suck and need to be swapped out to chrome 18"+ wheels and tires immediately after purchase!!!

DocG2828 said:
Just curious and not trying to pick a fight....but how many have actually been able to truly compare the 05+ to the 99-04's stock for stock. A bunch of you that have driven the 05's have quite a few mods. Not saying that you don't remember what your car was like stock...but once you get used to the mods, I'd think it would be harder to remember just how the car drove stock. So is it really a fair comparison? Just a thought.

I have driven both and I bought the 04 GT based on price alone. There really wasn't a huge difference in power, noticable only at "I want a suspeneded license speed". All things being equal the 05-06 car is more refined. The ride is better, the steering is better, so is the seating and so is the quality of the switch gear...at least in feel. At some point I will most likely trade for the newer generation, just waiting till the cars have some cure time....

Gearbanger 101 said:
It took it a while to grow on me, but I finally like the S197's. The only stipulation I have is that I like them in any colour, as long as it's black…the rear spoiler needs to be deleted and that all of the factory wheels suck and need to be swapped out to chrome 18"+ wheels and tires immediately after purchase!!!
Ford offers 18" chome wheels now on the '06

Some may call these riced, but I do think the new model pulls off body kits and different types of wheels better than our model. Stock for stock the new model doesn't look much better, but I think I like the aftermarket mods a whole lot better! I especially like the Mad Max MRT Interceptor. If you're easily offended, shield your eyes!

2310487_4_full.jpg

2284635_1_full.jpg

730225_1_full.jpg

1119261_7_full.jpg

2006827_7_full.jpg

2040143_12_full.jpg