dss pro306 or pro331

chrismillion

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Mar 4, 2004
is spending an extra 500 for the 331 worth it? i got 1500 saved up for the a new block and another 400 for a new convertible top. i'm getting a little impatient cause i'm ready to beef it up. if i knew how to put a convertible top on i could save about 300. so what should i do 306 or 331?

• Sponsors (?)

if you throw on stock heads/cam/intake on a 331 you will not see the full potential without a doubt.

even on a 306, whcih is good for about 20hp.

a 331 can plant down 350rwhp with proper heads cam intake EASILY without trying.

now the question comes...

do you want to run boost later?

dished pistons will cost more and will be best for boosted setups.

flattops are usually standard and dont cost more, but usually are not suited for boost as it raises compression.

I would buy a 331 without a doubt... but would not throw it in the car without new heads/cam/intake or at least something ported.

goodluck dude.

your gonna need a lot to push those dubs son.

word up.

I think its an easy answer, do you want more hp and potenial or no?
(and we're an easy going bunch here so you'll get answers like sell your wheels by the way!)

seriously, if you can be happy at 300 hp then the 306 is the way to go.. if you know this car will last you a while and you love speed then the 331 is the way to go, make sure to get the level 20 block as well if you think boost is in the future..

Joes95GT said:
Please, no one take offense to this:

Why a 331?

Joe
Cause I like how 331 looks written out :shrug:

If you're going to stay with a 302 base block... why not just save a little more and get a 347? Even then I would still strongly consider getting a 351 instead of the little ol' 302.