dss pro306 or pro331

Killercanary said:
Rob, your thinking of going NA!?!? Wow! If you do it right, you should have just as was said above 350rwhp easily. You could keep your intake and t-body, add some AFR185 heads, a good cam (you know who I recommend!!!), and you'd be set. You'd be within your budget too.

Nik- a 342 and the 347 are the same, but the 342 maintains the stock bore.

PAUL,
Because of the cost, Im not gonna do this "just to do it". It may still be 2 years down the line, or if something blows, it would be next month.

The reason as I said that Im researching this now, is in case something goes, I have my plan ready to go. I refuse to spend time, money, and resources "fixing" problems on a 10-yo block because of forced induction. By the time you keep fixing things over and over, you could have just spent a little more and had everything NEW and done right the first time..

Now having said that..THe combo youre referring to Paul, are you talking that with a 347 or 331, or does it matter, IYO?

I have enough bling (well sort of), I have the fuel pump and 36's, the MAM and TB. I just need the assembled long block, maybe a new oil pan :shrug: and balancer :shrug: and just drop it in. Im sure I could get $1500-$2000 for the polished Vortech with chrome PP.

Thanks for the info!
RC

• Sponsors (?)

Nik_95Cobra said:
Agreed. What about tuning guys? Think one could get by with 24 pound injectors and maybe a chip or dyno tune?
You probably could, but you'd be running a ridiculous amount of fuel pressure.
Killercanary said:
If I ever do a 302 based stroker, it will be a 342/347. Why give up the extra cubes???
Amen.

BTW, Ed likes the AFR 205 head on a 347. For emissions, which I don't think you have in Florida (?), you could use the 185 head without problems. A 205 is not too much head for a 347. Spin it to 6500 and loose no low-end. I know, because I've asked. ;) :D

Joe

Joes95GT said:
You probably could, but you'd be running a ridiculous amount of fuel pressure.Amen.

BTW, Ed likes the AFR 205 head on a 347. For emissions, which I don't think you have in Florida (?), you could use the 185 head without problems. A 205 is not too much head for a 347. Spin it to 6500 and loose no low-end. I know, because I've asked. ;) :D

Joe

Hmmm...347 with 205's??? Is that the "preferred combo" for a 302 n/a?? :nice:

What about the cam?
RC

I plan on doing a 331 in another yr or so. I want something that will handle boost a little more then the stock 302 will and my engine is starting to pile the miles onto it. Its at about 130,000 for when it comes out of storage in the winter. I just want a block that will handle 10-12 PSI and I wont have to worry about anything letting go.

I love my DSS Pro Bullet 331! If I had AFR185's I probably be good for another 50 horsepower. I'm running about 10.5-11:1 compression and it's a daily driver. I plan on adding a 150 shot becuase as you know, high compression and boost don't mix.

The 331 adds a more noticable torque increase than horsepower over the 306. Either way, the DSS products are top notch qaulity. You'll be happy either way.

I was in the same spot last spring. To me it came down to this, I had a somewhat matched combo for a 302/306 and that stuff on a 331/347 just would not be up to it full abiltiy, that is a strong 302/306 or a 331/347 that could use better heads, cam, and intake. So for me it was a 302 (also My ET/HP goals are with this combo going to be it, any faster and I want a fox notch), I then looked around and looked at a long rod 306, reg rod 306, and 302 combo. I called CHP and DSS, I did not like what CHP was saying in regards to how they get a 306 longrod, it sounded like he was using a 331 piston (pin in diff. location) with a 5.4 rod and stock crank shaving alot of the block to make it all fit/work together. DSS was very infromitive and told me specs on what was done. I ended up not getting a long rod as the extra rpm use with a stock block and the fact the combo would not make power that high anyway made it kinda useless. I got a DSS pro bullit 306, it was 2,229$ shipped to my door.

As far as 331/347 goes well I like the 331 but a 347 will make more power, No matter what though if you 331/347 I would look at a aftermarket block. Then get a forged bottom end and boost the poopey out of it, thats what I want to do with a fox notch anyway.

IM just curious as to what kinda of numbers and 1/4 times could I expect from one of those "ready to go" 347 Long blocks DSS puts out for about $5k.

Given the other mods in my sig (but withOUT the Vortech, i.e. gears, exhaust, etc)

I would love a daily drive and brand new engine that I dont have to worry about something blowing up on it because of boost or old block and weak internals..

Thanks
RC