Dumbest Question Ever

jtfairlane

Mar 5, 2006
Ok, so before I ask it, I'd like to preface this retarded question by saying I've done everything from head swaps to cam swaps to rocker arm adjustments and swapped enough intakes to make my head spin....

...but, on my '89 LX 5.0 I haven't the foggiest clue how in the hell to "install" the plastic clip for the Hood Prop Rod. My first attempt was with a reproduction clip (it was white), and I couldn't get it to seat properly no matter how hard I pushed. I figured I would get it straight from the dealership (this time it's black), but again, no matter how hard I try I can NOT get this clip to get pushed all the way down.

I can't be the only other person who has replaced a broken prop rod clip, what the hell do I need to do to get it in there?

• Sponsors (?)

You must be doing something wrong because it only takes a couple of seconds to snap a new clip in. It takes longer to get the old one out. All you do is slide the clip into the hole and push down until the catch snaps in place.

BTW, in my experience the black clips do not fit the '89 so double check before snapping it in. Another bright idea from Ford was to change the diameter of the prop rod after '89 to a smaller diameter rod. The rod kept poping out of the black clip because it was too thick.

Don't feel stupid, some of those clips are FORD clips, they are repop, and they suck!!! They won't fit any damn car. Secondly, the post above could be right too. The core support changed in 1990. Big difference was the bumper mounting point, but they could have done things like the prop rod hole too.!!!:shrug: