Dust Sheilds How do you get them off?

• Sponsors (?)

Are we talkin about the brake's dust shields?

I thought I recalled them unbolting from the inside (engine side) of the shield. :shrug:

Yes the brake shields, they do not bolt on. This is on a Cobra if it could possibly matter. :shrug:

This is what I air hammered those from...
Front
View attachment 355856
Back
View attachment 355859

View attachment 355861
Here is what side came off like.:notnice: It already had a huge crack in it anyhow (which caused these to rattle loudly every time the doors shut) but I helped it off just want to get these odd fasteners off now....

Thanks for any info.

Those things are pop rivets. Your supposed to get the right size drillbit and drill them out. Once there out the dust shields should pop right out. If not then the dust shield is siezed to the hub, a hammer should do the trick. Rip it off if you have too, dust shields are really just heat trappers for your brake rotors.

Yea what gcomfx said. But with the centers out you may just be able to pry the shield off with a bit of force...if you want to try that.:shrug: The idea with the drill bit is you want to use a bit that thas the same diameter as the hole in the hub, so your not enlarging that hole just drilling out all the rivet material from inside the hole.

Yea what gcomfx said. But with the centers out you may just be able to pry the shield off with a bit of force...if you want to try that.:shrug: The idea with the drill bit is you want to use a bit that thas the same diameter as the hole in the hub, so your not enlarging that hole just drilling out all the rivet material from inside the hole.

There you go... maybe that'll clear it up. :nice:

Those are the centers to the rivets....you knocked them out...good....now just dril out those rivits...(the rivets surround the centers you got in your hand) You can rivit them back in when you put on new ones.