dyno results and new problems...

moneypit94

May 23, 2003
Macomb, IL
Just got back from the dyno shop. Car ran pretty good up too just below 5000 rpms. Then it started to lean way out. The fuel pressure was holding and everything. They checked the voltage on the MAF and it hit 5 volts right at 4800 rpms. So everything after that was messed up. DAMN C&L... Anyways I am still waiting for the graphs to be sent to me. Off of memory i made 453 rwhp at approx 5300 rpm and 476 rwtq at approx 4100. these are SAE corrected and the car is tuned for 91 octain.

I figure i will pick up another 20 horse or so when i get a new Pro-M MAF...
Another problem i have now is that i think they burnt a plug up on that last pull (idiots weren't paying attention to the AFR) The car vibrates pretty bad now and its not the balancer (i didn't think it was anyways). There is also white smoke (very small amount) that seems come out of the one tail pipe after its turned off and it doesn't want to stay running...

Gotta say that 450 is better then 95...

Oh and the reason it only made 95 hp the time before was because there was a fuel line that had been kinked...

• Sponsors (?)

I was just gonna post in the other thread asking how you made out.

One question. Does you passenger seat shake while in gear and the tires are rolling?

Sorry Im not a good help for the tuning issues, Im sure MR Polish RC will be in soon to help.

I guess TTT is all I can do for now.

One question. Does you passenger seat shake while in gear and the tires are rolling?

im not real sure? all of this vibration stuff is happeneing wether im in gear or not... I haven't drove it but maybe 30 ft. It went off the dyno to on the trailer and back off the trailer.

As soon as i get time im yanking the plugs out and checking them. I hope its nothing serious. IT vibrates but there is no noise like rattleing or grinding.

I looked at the graphs and they let it climb to a 14.5 A/F ratio. :notnice: By the way i made a little over 9lbs of boost with the stock pulley and a power pipe.

those are some great numbers.. Sucks that you have those issues now.

What kind of power pipe did you go with? And when are you planning on getting the pro-m? I cant wait to see how much it makes with a good meter. I bet you will be damn close(if not over) 500rwhp once the bugs are worked out

The cam you have in there, did Ed make it for N/A or was it a blower grind?

Numbles said:
Sorry Im not a good help for the tuning issues, Im sure MR Polish RC will be in soon to help.

Remember, it's "DR" Polish :rlaugh:

Anyway, yes 14.5 is way too high under that kind of load. If you had 14.5 at 1500 RPM cruising at 30mph it would be no biggie. They let mine climb that high also :( :nonono:

Hard to help much with tuning over the internet. I just know that there has been a lot of negativity with those C&L meters floating around, mainly in the higher HP cars. Im not saying for sure it's the MAM, but I pretty much know for sure that if it is THAT, it will be fixed with the ProM :nice:
RC

94GTLaserRC said:
Remember, it's "DR" Polish :rlaugh:

OH, sorry DR. :rlaugh:

I was just asking about the vibration because I have the passenger seat shake next to me on the highway because pepboys doesn't know how to balance tires and I was seing if that could be a problem but if its shaking at idle there is probable a much more serious problem.

Does the entire motor shake like its a firing problem?

I'm gona help as best as I can because someone in Illinois gots to represent with some badass mustangs. :rlaugh: :owned:

BTW, If I remember correctly you have an MSD box. See if that is working correctly. My buddie John in his 87 camaro has gone through 2. Just a suggestion. And when they go bad it reaks havok with your performance.

yellow1995Cobra said:
those are some great numbers.. Sucks that you have those issues now.

What kind of power pipe did you go with? And when are you planning on getting the pro-m? I cant wait to see how much it makes with a good meter. I bet you will be damn close(if not over) 500rwhp once the bugs are worked out

The cam you have in there, did Ed make it for N/A or was it a blower grind?
I went with a AFM power pipe. And i plan on getting the pro-m asap. (The car is put away for the winter so i do have some time though)

The cam is a N/A one. Ed told me not to worry about a new cam till i really put some boost on.

Im not quite that optimistic about making 500 rwhp. I figure it could be done with a more aggressive tune with better fuel, but im quite happy knowing that i can just put some half way decent pump gas in and make over 500 hp to the back of the motor.

Another thing is that you can't tell there is a blower in my car at all. That v-2 is silent. Ive been toying with the idea of putting some quiter exhaust on and my stock rims back on for a sleeper.

RC... from what ive been told it is the MAF.. The tuner was telling me that the MAF reads up to 4.9 volts. If it goes past that the computer can't make sence of it and keeps sending the same amount of fuel from 4.9 and up. by the time they shut down the car at the end of the run my maf was reading like 5.6 volts.
(explaining why it leaned out so bad at the end and why they couldn't correct it with the chip)

Here is a graph, on CRACK... It is off a little. The new run viewer from Dynojet is messed up (or the files they sent me got corrutped some how)... My torque was higher then that but peaked before that. The a/f ratio is pretty close on the blower graph but is messed up on the N/A run. It gave me new values on the NA run also. I HAD 359 torque and 342 hp on the NA run...

really i just wanted to show what the a/f did with the C&L and that is mostly correct.
With the new Pro-M im getting it should raise my peak power back up to 5500ish rpm...

attachment.php

Here is my original graph with the NA run

graph.gif

Attachments

• graph2.JPG
    graph2.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 231
Ehhh, runs rough...white smoke from tailpipe.....not good signs there my man. Sounds like it went REALLY lean (14.5 is insane lean) and popped a h/g. Based on my personal experience (5 sets of h/g's in 10months :nonono: ) that sounds like the problem. Good luck.

blackmagic94 said:
14.5:1 AFR is BAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDD

If you melted a plug then you might have melted a piston as well. Time for a compression test. Time for injectors and stand alone computer

will that happen all the time with the stock computer running alot of hp? cause i have 30lb injectors and pro-m 75mm maf (calibrated) and plan on pushing 400hp on a single turbo. i dont want to get that lean running on the street :nonono:

b.j.

Please listen to my advise on this

Spend the money on the biggest injectors you can afford.
Spend the money on a stand alone computer, remember the EEC IV was NOT MADE FOR BOOST!!!
Spend the money on a fuel system, aka fuel pump, rails, lines, regulator

I orginally bought 42lb/hr injectors and i ended running them for 2 months and just sold them and bought some 72lb/hr to get rid of my 12.5:1 AFR at 18psi of boost lean problem.

42lb/hr injectors are safe to around 530 rwhp without going lean,
I would look into a SDS or AEM system, the SDS is cheaper and works great for me.

from expierience on dyno with 93 mobil that little puff is probably not a good sign quickest way to find if you lifted a head is dye your rad fluid see if it changes. i made 435 with a-trim on 93 oct 12* timeing on stock 302 second pull resulted in shredding belt and recking #7&8 head gasket. hope every thing is cool nice #s

I forgot to post what my problem was, on this thread anyway... My plugs are all fine and so is my motor for the most part... I just busted my balancer. it must have done it on shut down or something because the tuner said he never felt anything at all...

Also that deal about the white smoke, there wasn't that much but at the time i was looking for any excuse i could to figure out what was going on... I figure it was from humidity build up or something...

And as soon as i get the new MAf (which i have ordered) I should have no problem cleaning up that nasty A/F ratio...

The EEC IV may not have been meant for boost but it can be minipulated to take it pretty easily. I only am looking to get about 500 rwhp at the most.

Again if i would have boughten a higher dollar MAF and BALANCER in the first place instead of trying to save some money i personally think it would have done just fine.

When we did the voltage check on the MAF it hit over 4.9 volts right about 4800 rpms.. you can see on the graph that the A/F starts to climb at that exact point. This is why i strongly believe that the tuner is right and ordered a new pro-m for a supercharger and 42's...

Bling said:
Ehhh, runs rough...white smoke from tailpipe.....not good signs there my man. Sounds like it went REALLY lean (14.5 is insane lean) and popped a h/g. Based on my personal experience (5 sets of h/g's in 10months :nonono: ) that sounds like the problem. Good luck.

This is my thinking exactly!! I would kick that dyno operator in the teeth if he let my car go above a 12.0:1. A 14.5 AFR on a blown engine at high RPMS is just waiting for trouble unless you had the timing severely retarded.

Next time travel on over to AFM and let Danny Biggs run it for you. I have worked with him several times with my car and he is very good.

Get the Pro-M, check the engine for problems, and either go to AFM or make sure your dyno guy knows more about cars than my mom.

The stock EEC will work just fine for your combo. Just remember when you dont run an FMU you must chip the computer to inform it what is going on. If you don't chip it you must install a FMU, which is by far the cheapest and simplest. The whole thing about the EEC not being able to handle blown power is untrue. Im making 11psi and 415 rwhp on the stock unchipped computer with an FMU. I know of another guy making 510rwhp with 15psi, aftermarket cam, the stock unchipped computer, and an FMU.