Dyno #'s....... Not very happy....

MGSTANG

Founding Member
Aug 4, 2002
Palm Bay Fl
Ok, let me first start off by saying. It was 90 degrees in the dyno room, no air flow at all because all the fans were used up. This is an SCT X-calibrator 2 dyno tune. Lets go from there:

These are my mods that matter: Mac CAI, Mac Prochamber and Flowmaster mufflers welded in, Steeda UDP, NX EFI nitrous Kit, 3.73 gears

Pre Tune Run: 237 Hp and 270 TQ w/ a 12.0-13.0 A/F across the graph

93 Tune from SCT X-Cal 2: 244 HP and 283 TQ (Hoped for a lot more) w/ a 13.0 A/F across the graph

125 shot of Nitrous: (57 nitrous jet and 35 Fuel Jet) 332 HP and 425 TQ w/ a quick peak of 14 A/F when first engaged drops to 10, then levels out at 11 A/F across the Graph

125 shot of Nitrous: (57 nitrous jet and 33 fuel Jet) 331 HP and 426 TQ w/ a quick peak of 13 A/F when first engaged drops to 10, then levels out at 11.5 across the Graph

150 Shot of Nitrous: (62 nitrous jet and 38 fuel Jet) 343 HP and 452 TQ w/ a quick peak of 14.5 when first engaged drops to 10, then levels out at 11 but starts to get richer down the graph.

With only getting 100 HP from a 150 shot, something there doesn't seem right. I believe my nitrous runs are way to on the safe side. And my NA runs seem very low also. With my mods on a 2004 GT 5 speed, I would have liked atleast 250+ NA. By the way, this was on a Dynojet.

• Sponsors (?)

It is a little low for the n/a numbers but keeping in mind it was 90 degrees,the newer cars pull quite a bit of timing with the heat. Also,100hp gain does seem a bit low with the 150 shot,but do you have a bottle warmer? Even though it was 90 in the dyno room,the bottle was probably quite a bit cooler. That will throw things out of whack and cause it to run as rich as it was.

Well,I'm not sure what to say. I'm going for my first dyno run on Monday and I have the same nitrous system. I've always knocked 1.5 seconds off my quarter mile time when using the 150 shot so I assumed it was adding 150 on the motor. I'd try running one step smaller of a fuel jet but keep a close eye on the a/f as you don't want it to spike too lean.

It spikes to 14.5 now but then drops right back down. Ohhhhh, I just checked NX jet sizes for the 150. I have it way richened. Suppose to be a 35 jet and I have it a 38. (Not my doing) But I know that's probably why I'm rich across the board.

"Ok, let me first start off by saying. It was 90 degrees in the dyno room, no air flow at all because all the fans were used up. This is an SCT X-calibrator 2 dyno tune. Lets go from there"

You got no reason to feel bad then. Those are actually pretty good numbers for just some bolt ons :nice:

Thanks, I was expecting around 260 because my friend with just CAI and flowmaster mufflers pulled a 235. Now that was also on a Mustang Dyno. Two totally different dynos. I might get a lot higher #'s on a mustang dyno. But it's all good. I found out I'm safe on a 150 shot

Did you have your SCT chip burned for the nitrous? If so, how much was the chip with the tune and dyno time? I am thinking about getting an SCT burned for my nitrous setup, but I have called a bunch of places and they want at least $800-1000 for the chip+dyno time+burning the chip. What plugs are you running? Just kinda curious...Anyway, nice numbers man, I wouldnt complain.

Well, most 04 GTs stock 5spds put down between 225 and 229RWHP stock...its pretty odd that your only at 237 before tune...and now 244 is pretty good. Mustang dynos are really for tuning, not for comparison as they load the car for weight and if the guy puts in a different wieght, the #s will be different...and from what i see they vary greatly...generally mustang dynos show 20HP or so less than normal. Anyways, im thinking about taking mine to the dyno for a test run this week. Oh, and from what i hear, no airflow over the engine makes a big difference on power. The flows really wont help HP too much BTW...maybe 1-2HP. And like others said, the CPU is picky about air intake temps and likes to pull timing. Notice how much better our cars runs in cold weather.

Your a/f doesn't sound that bad. My a/f is between 11.5-11.7 from 3k-6k. Mid 11s is good for a street car and pump gas.

I think the reason that your power is down a little is due to the timing pulled in the nitrous tune. Do you know how much timing the chip pulled? I'm pulling 2* global for a 100 shot. I would assume at least 3* for a 125, but they might have wanted to go way safe and pulled 4*.

MyEarsHurt said:
Did you have your SCT chip burned for the nitrous? If so, how much was the chip with the tune and dyno time? I am thinking about getting an SCT burned for my nitrous setup, but I have called a bunch of places and they want at least $800-1000 for the chip+dyno time+burning the chip. What plugs are you running? Just kinda curious...Anyway, nice numbers man, I wouldnt complain.
I had three tunes burnt onto the X-cal 2 while on the dyno. Just for the hell of it, I had an 87 tune burnt on there just in case I don't feel like paying the 2.50 a gallon for gas. Then I had a 93 tune put in there. And then the nitrous tune. The X-cal 2 was $400 from where I got it. I had to pay $75 for the tune, was $75 an hour + a dollar a minute after that. Ended up costing me $595. $800 seems WAY to much to me. I love my TQ though. And thanks :banana:

hotmustang331 said:
Well, most 04 GTs stock 5spds put down between 225 and 229RWHP stock...its pretty odd that your only at 237 before tune...and now 244 is pretty good. Mustang dynos are really for tuning, not for comparison as they load the car for weight and if the guy puts in a different wieght, the #s will be different...and from what i see they vary greatly...generally mustang dynos show 20HP or so less than normal. Anyways, im thinking about taking mine to the dyno for a test run this week. Oh, and from what i hear, no airflow over the engine makes a big difference on power. The flows really wont help HP too much BTW...maybe 1-2HP. And like others said, the CPU is picky about air intake temps and likes to pull timing. Notice how much better our cars runs in cold weather.
Well I figured in 17% drive train loss. That brought me to 216. So let me be happy with the with what I think I gained 30 HP w/ those mods and tune. lol. I don't see how no airflow doesn't really hurt. If it's 90 degrees + in that room, the intakes only sucking in 90 degree air. It's not gonna suck in any cooler flowing air. That to me probably hurts. If this dyno tune was outside, I believe I would have had a lot better #'s. I don't knwo what tune I left the Dyno w/ but it felt slow. And for the hell of it, I loaded or reloaded the 93 tune in and took it down my street. A LOT of difference I think. I'm afraid to spray also, 452 TQ is a lot. lol

Red35th said:
Your a/f doesn't sound that bad. My a/f is between 11.5-11.7 from 3k-6k. Mid 11s is good for a street car and pump gas.

I think the reason that your power is down a little is due to the timing pulled in the nitrous tune. Do you know how much timing the chip pulled? I'm pulling 2* global for a 100 shot. I would assume at least 3* for a 125, but they might have wanted to go way safe and pulled 4*.
I was told that's where you want it when you have a power adder. From 12.5-13 NA. I don't konw what he set the timing to, if it was just a timing adjuster I could tell ya. But it's different across the whole bored. He did tell me he only had to pull like 2 at the most out because I am using 93. I don't know, I trust him

I feel kinda like you should've gained more from the tune, since SCT advertises 17rwhp gains on a stock gt.. but oh well. Doesn't gears make your dyno numbers a little worse than what they should be?

I thought you were going to stick around to watch my car be dyno'd. You're lucky it was cool when you were in there...my last pull the air temp was 102.2 :lol: Justin did manage to track down one fan or it might have been 105. For as much as they spent on that shop you figure they could have had some roof vent fans in there.

BTW, they hit me up for $105 for dyno time (hour and a half.) The first run was at 1:52 and the last at 2:29. Justin told them to start unhooking it as soon as he made the last pull, yet they still came up with that charge. Must be 50 hours in a day around there. Justin is going to have to find somewhere else to tune or those people will end up running his customers off.