Dyno #'s Systemax/FTI cam/TW heads

LS1s suck.... don't cave 5spd.

And what do you mean that you've never seen a 347 dyno like an LS1? LS1s dyno, like you said, in the neighborhood of 300 rwhp. 500 rwhp is kinda steep. Never seen that from an LS1, but I have seen 400 rwhp from a n/a 302. Could a high revving 347 make that kinda power? probably

For a pushrod, yes I believe they are better.

I have never seen an equally equipped 347 out "dyno" a 346. I am keeping accessories, powerband, goals of the car in mind.

http://guerragroup.com/2000TA.htm (slightly bored ls1)

I have seen 400rwhp from a 302, it used C12 race gas, and 12.25:1 compression.

Want to read about the "recipe" for 500rwhp with "heads and cam" on an ls1?

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=732392

• Sponsors (?)

For a pushrod, yes I believe they are better.

I have never seen an equally equipped 347 out "dyno" a 346. I am keeping accessories, powerband, goals of the car in mind.

http://guerragroup.com/2000TA.htm (slightly bored ls1)

I have seen 400rwhp from a 302, it used C12 race gas, and 12.25:1 compression.

Want to read about the "recipe" for 500rwhp with "heads and cam" on an ls1?

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=732392

I'm with Dave on this one. LSx cars RIP on the dyno. You can't argue it. They also have wayyyy better mpg at cruise. And you guys are all comparing aftermarket 347s with non-OEM parts to the regular ol' stock LS1 as it is from the factory line.

The main reason that Chevy hasn't completely annihilated Ford is the FOX mustang. It's essentially the perfect platform to build a drag car out of in terms of aerodynamics, wheel base, length, width, weight, under the hood size, ease of wrenching on, cost, etc... Compare that to the ungainly heavy pigs that Chevy uses.

Ever seen an LSx in a Fox? It's a perfect combination... (flame suit on, ducking behind a corner, making sure the lights are off):eek:

Took this one waaaay off topic, apologies to the poster!

Adam

Can't compare a stock 302 to LS1... It just isn't even close. I'm still not really sure what a 346 ci LS1 can do that a 347 can't. The one you show made 510 rwhp, go to AFR's website and they have numerous articles with impressive numbers from any regular displacement chevy engine. How about 750 rwhp from an n/a stroked 302! Not streetable, but there is an example of a 575 hp n/a stroker that looks completely streetable. That's probably more than 500 rwhp (keep in mind that 15% may not be applicable at higher hp levels.

Chris

Can't compare a stock 302 to LS1... It just isn't even close. I'm still not really sure what a 346 ci LS1 can do that a 347 can't. The one you show made 510 rwhp, go to AFR's website and they have numerous articles with impressive numbers from any regular displacement chevy engine. How about 750 rwhp from an n/a stroked 302! Not streetable, but there is an example of a 575 hp n/a stroker that looks completely streetable. That's probably more than 500 rwhp (keep in mind that 15% may not be applicable at higher hp levels.

Chris

I am not trying to compare a 302 vs. a 346, but 347 vs. a 346.

I have not seen near the amount of streetable 347's that I do, ls1's.

420rwhp with bolt-ons and a daily driver capable OTS camshaft, without changing heads or intake. I do not see that with similar "flowing" heads on a short block Ford. In fact, most 347's are not even close to that, with, in my opinion, less streetability.

Those examples I have seen, and much are carbed, which will typically always inflate the peak numbers, as compared to fuel injected.

Also, I am going off chassis dynos, not engine dynos, like those AFR test.

I am not saying that the ls1 is some great engine, but as I listed, it has these little details that make it work better than the older generation short block Ford. As you know, it is all in the details...

I am not trying to compare a 302 vs. a 346, but 347 vs. a 346.

I have not seen near the amount of streetable 347's that I do, ls1's.

Because every LS1 starts off streetable.... 347s are not commonly produced

420rwhp with bolt-ons and a daily driver capable OTS camshaft, without changing heads or intake. I do not see that with similar "flowing" heads on a short block Ford. In fact, most 347's are not even close to that, with, in my opinion, less streetability.

The 575 hp AFR article is about a 347 that uses the Ford AFR205... The combo you show is a chevy guy with AFR205 heads... Very similar numbers. What's streetability? usually that's determined only by cam and tune

Those examples I have seen, and much are carbed, which will typically always inflate the peak numbers, as compared to fuel injected.

Carbs don't inflate numbers. They just don't run out of airflow like smaller long-runner efi intakes do at higher rpm. There's not much point to try run a long-runner to 7000+ rpm. It won't make power there. Put a Vic Jr, TFS R, Systemax II, or Supervictor on there and you'll see the exact same thing you do with carbs... less low end and more high end. Carbs do not offer a hp advantage over the properly sized fuel injected intake. That's an entirely different argument, however.

Also, I am going off chassis dynos, not engine dynos, like those AFR test.
I'm sorry, the AFR tests offer the only objective evidence I can provide. I don't see too many tests that are as thorough as the one shown by your chevy guy.

I am not saying that the ls1 is some great engine, but as I listed, it has these little details that make it work better than the older generation short block Ford. As you know, it is all in the details...

You're right, to an extent. The old factory pushrod ford has nothing on the newer technology employed in the LS1.

But lets face it, there's nothing too technologically complex about an engine. You have a cylinder enclosed on both ends by a piston and a combustion chamber with 2 valves. All of the new after market products have similar chevy and ford versions. When you strip away the top-end of the engine it eliminates the performance advantage. Now all you're doing in both camps is putting on aftermarket parts that are nearly identical. I think you generally see combos making more power in the LS1 camp only because billy-bob and his brother can afford to put together a 347 combo with stock 351 heads. That combo just ain't gonna turn the numbers that big spenders will turn with better components.

Spare me the time it would take to go back and disect your list of LS1 advantages. Go back and look at them and consider what is still an advantage when you give the SBF all aftermarket top-end components with a cam.

And for what it's worth, I personally don't buy the concept that square stroke vs. bore is better for performance. I'd rather build a 4.125" bore 347 stroker than a 4.030" bore 347 stroker. The latter may make more torque, but I bet I'd get more average power out of mine. Would probably be able to rev my motor higher, too - consider piston speed. What are you left with in terms of LS1 advantages?

I don't see any. And, FWIW, I hope it doesn't seem like I'm coming down on you. I really enjoy our discussions. I've learned quite a bit about the LS1s from you in this thread, and I already own one! ('97 C5 vette)

Chris

Because every LS1 starts off streetable.... 347s are not commonly produced

That is a strong point.

The 575 hp AFR article is about a 347 that uses the Ford AFR205... The combo you show is a chevy guy with AFR205 heads... Very similar numbers. What's streetability? usually that's determined only by cam and tune

I am assuming that is on an engine dyno with no accessory loss or transmission loss. However, I am sure it puts out good power in a streetable package.

I am sure you realize the AFR "Mongoose" 205's are not the same as the AFR SBF 205's.

Yeah, my thoughts on streetability basically are accessories driven by the crank (that I enjoy), camshaft (vac., powerband), and tune helps for sure.

Carbs don't inflate numbers. They just don't run out of airflow like smaller long-runner efi intakes do at higher rpm. There's not much point to try run a long-runner to 7000+ rpm. It won't make power there. Put a Vic Jr, TFS R, Systemax II, or Supervictor on there and you'll see the exact same thing you do with carbs... less low end and more high end. Carbs do not offer a hp advantage over the properly sized fuel injected intake. That's an entirely different argument, however.

What I said came out incorrectly. I have seen a few test where a carbed car will have a higher dyno number at peak, as compared to a fuel injected car. Your right, that is a whole 'nother argument. Something, I have not looked into much at all.

I'm sorry, the AFR tests offer the only objective evidence I can provide. I don't see too many tests that are as thorough as the one shown by your chevy guy.

You are correct, his test is pretty extensive. I have also seen a share of the ls6 346's dynoing 520 rwhp in nice streetable packages. I just have not seen those without revving to 8k on a 347. Just a personal observation, not fact:)

You're right, to an extent. The old factory pushrod ford has nothing on the newer technology employed in the LS1.

But lets face it, there's nothing too technologically complex about an engine. You have a cylinder enclosed on both ends by a piston and a combustion chamber with 2 valves. All of the new after market products have similar chevy and ford versions. When you strip away the top-end of the engine it eliminates the performance advantage. Now all you're doing in both camps is putting on aftermarket parts that are nearly identical. I think you generally see combos making more power in the LS1 camp only because billy-bob and his brother can afford to put together a 347 combo with stock 351 heads. That combo just ain't gonna turn the numbers that big spenders will turn with better components.

4 stroke, 2 valve engines are fairly simple for a basic understanding as you stated.
I am sure you realize that I am not comparing "billy-bob" to "the donald," because that would not be fair;) I try to compare apples to apples, whether "red delicious" or "granny apple green"...they are still both an apple.

Spare me the time it would take to go back and disect your list of LS1 advantages. Go back and look at them and consider what is still an advantage when you give the SBF all aftermarket top-end components with a cam.

And for what it's worth, I personally don't buy the concept that square stroke vs. bore is better for performance. I'd rather build a 4.125" bore 347 stroker than a 4.030" bore 347 stroker. The latter may make more torque, but I bet I'd get more average power out of mine. Would probably be able to rev my motor higher, too - consider piston speed. What are you left with in terms of LS1 advantages?

I don't see any. And, FWIW, I hope it doesn't seem like I'm coming down on you. I really enjoy our discussions. I've learned quite a bit about the LS1s from you in this thread, and I already own one! ('97 C5 vette)

Chris

Actually, if you look back, I never said the square engine would make more power. I just stated it was more square. The taller deck helps it out in getting the longer .22" of stroke.

Yeah, I like the big bore idea in an N/A engine. They make a bit more power, a little higher up.

I actually forgot you own the '97:bang: I am not taking anything personal. You are very level headed and love to learn and teach as I see. I could learn a few things from you...

Chris

I disagree with this statement. The LS heads are a completely different design from the Ford heads. Have you ever seen the two next to each other?

By the way, anyone notice that the new AFR 225/205/185 Ford heads switched to an LS valvetrain?

Attachments

• ls1.jpg
    ls1.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 95
  • sbf.jpg
    sbf.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 87
The AFR 165's have gotten the "treatment" as well.

8mm's are lighter and obviously have a thinner diameter. Who knows? They may even have the slightest of edges in flow...

The ls1 heads are a tall port design, and even have offset head bolt mounting locations. Different valve sizes, which the ls1 is even smaller at 2.02", not 2.08" like the Ford version.

Airflow Chart for Track AFR 205 Heads:

Lift Value (in.) - Intake Flow - Exhaust Flow

Inches - CFM - CFM

0.200 - 141 - 125
0.300 - 201 - 180
0.400 - 251 - 211
0.500 - 291 - 225
0.550 - 301 - 228
0.600 - 306 - 231
0.700 - 310 - 235

Tests conducted at 28 in. of water (pressure)
Intake valve size 2.080 in./exhaust valve size 1.600 in.

Airflow Chart for LS1 Street AFR 205 Heads:

Lift Value (in.) - Intake Flow - Exhaust Flow

Inches - CFM - CFM

0.200 - 140 - 112
0.300 - 200 - 170
0.400 - 251 - 203
0.500 - 281 - 221
0.550 - 292 - 226
0.600 - 298 - 230
0.700 - XXX - XXX

Tests conducted at 28 in. of water (pressure)
Intake valve size 2.020 in./exhaust valve size 1.600 in.

The ls1 205cc actually flow less in every category, by a marginal amount.

Keep it mind, they are flowed on a slightly smaller bore, being 3.900" while the AFR 205's for Ford were flowed on a 4.125" bore!

The ls1 205's come with titanium retainers and 7* guides/locks, compared to the Ford version of steel/10* guides/locks.

I'm running the LS1 style valve springs/retainers/keepers in my old AFR165's. I lost a whopping 120 grams out of my valve train. I don't need to tell you how substantial that is. I still have the "old" style valves though too. It took some creative parts selection to get it to work but I'm glad I did it.