Dyno Test between Heads

• Sponsors (?)

Check the Fall of 2003 Muscle Mustangs and Fast Ford magazines. They had several articles titled the Ultimate Cylinder Head test. They compared the AFR and Edelbrock heads in the same group, the TF heads were used in group 2 on a differenc engine combination. Those articles should give you a ton of data.

I have the mag right here that compares the AFR 185, edelbrock performer rpm, and the tw heads on the 331 they had.

TFS twisted wedge: peak hp=438@6000, peak torque=436@4500, average hp=335, average torque 408.2, peak intake [email protected] lift, peak exhaust [email protected] lift

Edelbrock performer RPM: peak hp=430@5800, peak torque=428@4500, average hp=332, average torque=404.8, peak intake [email protected] lift, peak exhaust [email protected] lift

AFR 185: peak hp=448@6100, peak torque=445@4300, average hp=343, average torque=417.90, peak intake [email protected] lift, peak exhaust [email protected] lift

Twisted wedge: $1095, cost per hp $12.59
Edelbrock performer RPM: $1059, cost per hp $13.41
AFR 185: $1299, cost per hp $13.39

Let me look and see if I can find the mag with the 165's and just the performers. Hope this helped though.

Chris

they should have tested the 165cc since thats more comparable to the TFS in $$ and flow #'s and can both be bolted onto a stock shortblock. Yeah, I know the test was done on a built block so that negates that.

Also, TFS heads go for $949.

I don't have the mag with me, but when they did the comparison with 165's and TW on a 331 i think the AFR's were better in both peak power, average power, and dollar/horsepower. They were pretty close however. The 165's and TW's were 1-2 in all the tests.

Hey Chris thanks for those numbers, but I need the numbers from the AFR 165cc. I called Airflow Research last night because I wanted 185cc AFR, but I will have to machine the pistons for the valves to clear. So I decide to go with the 165cc

The AFR-165's and the TW heads were compared on different engines in different groups. I looked at the mag last night. The AFR's were in group one, and the TW's were in group 2. Not sure why they did that, you'd think those two heads would be real competitive since they flow similar numbers. The groupings were based on intake port size and the TW heads have only a slightly larger port.