E Cam and Twisted Wedge heads? Are stock pistons ok?

UpRise_5.0

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2002
Canada
Hi, I have an E cam

Advertised duration: 282 intake/282 exhaust
Duration at .050 in. cam lift: 220 intake/220 exhaust
Gross valve lift: .498 in. intake/.498 exhaust
Lobe separation: 110 degrees

in my car and I want to install Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads in my Car next summmer. My question is, will I have pistons to vavle clearence problems. Will I need new pistons or will I be ok?

Supposedly my car has Trickflow pistons already in it, I dont know if there real trickflow pistons or just pistons ready for Trickflow heads, or the person was lying?

Thanks for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

Ford Racing will tell you to check p to v with that cam; you'll probably be ok, but if you aren't it's an expensive lesson to learn. It's quite easy to measure it, and it's the only way to be certain that your combo has the clearance it needs, especially since there's uncertainty about what pistons are in it. With all due respect to others that say you'll be ok because they are - when it comes to tolerances measured in hundredths, no 2 combos are alike. And measuring will teach you a whole bunch about how your engine operates. You need minimums of .080" on intake and .100" on exhaust to be certain that at high revs, or with floated valves on a missed shift you'll have the clearance you need and not bend any valves/pushrods.

Here's a link with more info: http://www.geocities.com/jjonibones/PVC.html

what size valves are in the TW heads, i have powerheads and have 1.90 intake and 1.60 exhaust and I am considering either the B cam or the trickflow stage 1 complimented with 1.7 RR, do you think I will have enough clearence on both and do both have a pretty lopey idle?

Old combo was e-cam, tfs wedge heads,1.6 rockers, 306(ross pistons, eagle rods, stock crank), holley upper and lower, 36 lb injectors, stock fuel rails, acccufab t/b ect ect, dynoed at 475 rwhp :nice:

sirsureshot39 said:
Old combo was e-cam, tfs wedge heads,1.6 rockers, 306(ross pistons, eagle rods, stock crank), holley upper and lower, 36 lb injectors, stock fuel rails, acccufab t/b ect ect, dynoed at 475 rwhp :nice:

:scratch: Are you serious? What's included in that "etc etc" after the accufab tb - 'cause, no offense intended, that combo doesn't sound like a 475 rwhp setup. Like I said, honestly no offense intended - I'm just curious. :)

Matt

bock said:
i run a f-303 with tfs tw over .100 of clearance on Intake and exhaust :nice: :nice:

I have the same exact setup as you except for stock cobra intake and e-303 cam but everything ekse is identical and I ran a 12.70 at 107... Seems to be the norm.. Good setup in my opinion..fairly cheap to compared to others...

Lab Rat said:
:scratch: Are you serious? What's included in that "etc etc" after the accufab tb - 'cause, no offense intended, that combo doesn't sound like a 475 rwhp setup. Like I said, honestly no offense intended - I'm just curious. :)

Matt

OH my bad..15psi also from the s-trim (completely slipped my mind)