E-Fan, Al Driveshaft...

Paul Perreca

Mar 30, 2005
Are small things like this really worth it in the long run??? How much heavier is the stock driveshaft than the Al one, and is it only a weight thing that it helps, or does it help get more horsepower to the wheels?? cuz if it's worth it, i'll get it... along w/ the E fan...

Paul Perreca

• Sponsors (?)

E-fan is great if you happen to have a 3G alternator. I see the alum DS as more of a vibration/harmonics fix after gears than a 'mod' per se. In other words, I would not necessarily install an alum DS just for driveline weight savings.

Good luck.

Without a mechanical fan that the engine has to turn, your car would rev "slightly" easier. (good mod if your electrical system is up to the challenge)

Driveshaft is going to be lighter than the stock steel one. Every ounce will help, but this change won't effect any performance.. Just the pocket book

Neither will give you any huge return that you will notice when out on the street. However electric fan will give you some HP and definately help you control your temps..that can make it worth the price alone. As far as the DS..I changed mine over after a gear swap left me with a nasty vibration at speed...result was a vibration free car..worth the money if you need it...yes..if you don't have issues, but the $$ is available I would do both mods.

if you take your car to a respectable shop to have gears installed they can rebalance your driveshaft there. A lot of times when people get a bad vibration they don't bother to think about the rear of the transmission and the yoke. if the rear bearing in the tranny and the yoke are wore it will also cause a bad vibration. The stock driveshafts are balanced from ford but they don't have stringent tolerances. The aluminum ones are balanced with a stricter tolerance. Hope this helps

The alum driveshaft, at $250 now is (imo) ONLY worth it if you have vibrations from a gear install. If you Do NOT, don't waste your cash, you'll be seriously disappointed. the alum driveshaft is one of those must buy items, when you must buy it, and you'll know when you need it.

Scientifically speaking, the aluminum shaft does reduce rotating mass, and therefore does free up power, or at least reduces parasitic drag in that area of the drive train, resulting in an increase in HP transferred to the rear wheels.

Does this mean you'll feel it? Hell no. It's a nice piece to have though if you have the cash....nice piece of mind knowing that the driveshaft is "taken care of".

As for the Efan, i've heard engine dyno (not chassis dyno) claims of 35hp gains when compared to a clutch fan. After you filter that through the chassis and drivetrain, you won't feel much if any of that gain either, but your engine will be noticably peppier in the rev department.

For all to know.

Myself and 4 other members use the volvo electric fan. It is a direct fit peice. Check out my site, about halfway down it shows you what it looks like.

They can be found on ebay for 25$ or in a junkyard. Keeps my engine way cooler.

The volvo fans are no joke, those SOB's move a lot of air.

yea cuz i really wanna break 300 horsepower to the wheels, and i figured maybe a couple supporting mods like that would help me acheive my goal.... I have bran new short block w/ new everything (pistons to lifters, everything) now.... i just bought SOOO much **** it took me ALL summer to save up for all of this, and heres what i got so far...

Cobra Upper and Lower (polished of course)
E-303 Camshaft
Edelbrock Al Performer RPM heads (feels so good to finally have them in my garage!)
all of the parts to make these heads work (gaskets bolts etc..)
Crane 1.6 Roller Rockers
Hardened Pushrods
King Cobra Clutch Kit (cut stock flywheel)
Mass Air conversion (i don't have the harness yet)
Mass air computer
C&L 76mm Mass Air Meter
70mm Throttle body (profes products)

ALLLLL of that **** cost me well over 2500 - almost 3 grand.... now - people told me i'll be pushing like 270 horsepower, which for some reason, i am finding hard to beleive, because stock is supposedly 215, and heads are supposed to add enough let alone an entire H/C/I combo - now i'm thinking - if it ends up being like 285-295 horses, will the al driveshaft and the electric fan help me pass the few extra horses to the dyno graph or what!!! LOL i want it so bad i can taste it lol

It's like, i spent sooo much money, and i'm still gonna have a sub 300hp car... feels like i'm being robbed somewhat lol help me out
PAUL PERRECA

oh yea, and i'm subtracting the smog pump as well, i already threw it out lol it felt good... AND i forgot to add the stuff i already have....

Mac Shorties, Offroad H, (soon to get) Spintech Pro Streets, Underdrive pullies...

Sorry i forgot that stuff...

Paul Perreca

(i think my cars gonna sound mean as hell when it's done w/ all that airflow and spintechs lol YES)

Paul Perreca said:
yea cuz i really wanna break 300 horsepower to the wheels, and i figured maybe a couple supporting mods like that would help me acheive my goal.... I have bran new short block w/ new everything (pistons to lifters, everything) now.... i just bought SOOO much **** it took me ALL summer to save up for all of this, and heres what i got so far...

E-303 Camshaft
Edelbrock Al Performer RPM heads (feels so good to finally have them in my garage!)
Crane 1.6 Roller Rockers
Hardened Pushrods
Mass air computer
C&L 76mm Mass Air Meter

ALLLLL of that **** cost me well over 2500 - almost 3 grand.... now - people told me i'll be pushing like 270 horsepower, which for some reason, i am finding hard to beleive, because stock is supposedly 215, and heads are supposed to add enough let alone an entire H/C/I combo - now i'm thinking - if it ends up being like 285-295 horses, will the al driveshaft and the electric fan help me pass the few extra horses to the dyno graph or what!!! LOL i want it so bad i can taste it lol

It's like, i spent sooo much money, and i'm still gonna have a sub 300hp car... feels like i'm being robbed somewhat lol help me out
PAUL PERRECA

I'm sorry to say but i'm sceptical about 300 at the wheels with that setup. A buddy of mine just dynoed 265 at the wheels with nearly the exact same setup, with the exceptions being GT40P heads, Performer RPM intake and 42lb injectors. The heads (before anyone says the Edel's will outflow GT40Ps) have been ported and polished as well. The guys at MD Motorsports did the tune, so it's been tweeked within an inch of it's life. If memory serves me right, the Performer RPM is going to breath a bit more than a Cobra intake, so you're at a disadvantage there as well. I'm not trying to bring you down or anything, because we were actually hoping to dyno around 300 as well, but it's just not enough.

LOL, by the way, just for the sake of irony in this thread, he DOES have an electric fan and aluminum ds... :(

Paul Perreca said:

E-303 Camshaft
Crane 1.6 Roller Rockers
Hardened Pushrods
Mass air computer
C&L 76mm Mass Air Meter

PAUL PERRECA

The rotational loss is dependant on the distance from the axis, in other words, a mass at 1/4 the diameter of a flywheel consumes 1/4 of hp of the same amount of mass at the outside of a flywheel. Compare the diameter and weight between a driveshaft and flywheel and it should be pretty obvious that the driveshaft isn't going to add much of anything with regard to horsepower. Moreover, the horsepower loss is proportional to the change in rpm vs time (dw/dt), In first gear, your flywheel will change from zero to 6000 rpm, while your driveshaft will change from zero to 2,000 rpm. In fourth, the change in rpm per time is low enough that neither of the two amount to significant loss.

The fan can be worth a lot, depending on the rpms you're turning. The loss is cubed law, so even though it amounts to only about 15 hp at 5,000 rpm, at 6,000 rpm it will amount to about 26 hp. Whether or not this shows up on the dyno depends on whether or not a secondary fan is used to cool the car, in which case, the clutch fan will be disengaged and only consume about 5 Hp at 5,000 rpm with hp loss linear to rpm

The Taurus fan has a higher blade density and a more powerfull and reliable motor than the Volvo fan. The Volvo fan was also recalled due to failures, so I would go with the Taurus fan

yea but even if the heads are ported n polished, the edels still out flow them don't they?? i'm pretty sure with all that aftermarket stuff, i cant be too short of 290 cuz why do all this stuff and still have 50 more horses tahn stock??? i want at least 70 more horses, ppl say intakes add 30, and heads add 60 and cam helps (due to combo) add watever lift ... ya know... so if i fall too short of 290 i'll buy a 347 next summer -- lol illjust throw a super charger on next smmer than.. lol

Paul Perreca

isn't 42 lb injectors like WAYYYYYYYy too big for that simple H/C/I?? lol i thought u would only use such bigass injectors if you had a supercharger or nitrous, or a bigger engine. my buddys got 24 lbers on his 347 stroker, and its got big horses lol
Paul Perreca '

Maybe his air fuel was off cuz his injectors were so huge, and that led to low hp numbers.. i dunno - still a newbie w/ hp numbers lol

Pau Perreca