E Fan not working, wheres the relay etc?

2BADSTANGS

Jun 19, 2008
Colorado
On my '93 LX 2.3 the temp went up while I was idling at a gas station. By up I mean about 3/4 the way up the gauge. Well the electric fan did not kick on and I am pretty sure that it should have. What engages the fan, is it the sensor on the heater core hoses or the one in the block? Where is the relay for the fan? I checked my fuses and the're good. Anyone have the same issue? Any insight is appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, Thats kinda dumb. I would still like help finding the control components, so I can double chech them. If it is the sensor on the heater core line that controls the fan, can you replace it with one that would activate the fan at 190degrees or so? Thanks!

I don't really know much about the factory fan wiring...

Honestly, I like the setup I have on my Bird.

I used an adjustable fan controller with a probe in the upper radiator hose. I run the signal from it through a relay, and then run power to the fan across the relay from the battery (and of course, there's another relay in there so the fans won't run when the car is shut off). Works pretty good, fan kicks on right around 200 degrees and shuts off at 190 or so.

I'd recommend going that route and just bypassing all the factory crap.