E7's, does it matter which side?

suruat98

Nov 18, 2006
Ok this is one of those moments where I might be over anyalizing.

I bought a 302 with stock E7 heads. I had the heads ported and went to re-install them.

Are heads directional? I'm not running the smog equipment so then does it matter if the ports are on the front or the back? It will effect the acc. bracket I know that, but anything else?

I ask becuase I'm getting ready to put the AC on, and just noticed it.

Thanks for your help!

• Sponsors (?)

No it does not matter BUT

it does matter if the threaed inserts that the front accessories bolt to are installed. You'd want to take note where these are and install them towards the front.

I've done a head gasket install only to discover when it was time to bolt the accessories on that the threaded inserts were at the rear of the motor :(

I was looking at the exhuast and intake valves and all that and it looks right. The only diffrenace I can see is that the smog ports are now on the front instead of the back.

So everything should work ok engine and head wise. The accesaries will need diffrent bolt I take it? Correct?

Thanks Again guys.

The accessories need the threaded inserts which are now at the rear of the motor.

If the smog ports are in the front, then you need to flip the heads. You'll also need to block the smog port holes off with a bolt of some size.

If the heads are already bolted on then just go to ford dealer and buy the inserts that thread into the holes. Lot better than taking the heads off and replacing gaskets and going through the torque sequence.

If that will work than thats and noting else is differant than that sounds good. I already have the heads on Roller Rockers, intake upper and lower and just about everything.

Thanks guys