Eagle F1 GS-D3 Tires - Good choice?

blackstangt

May 31, 2004
ny
Goodyear's link:

http://www.goodyeartires.com/eagle/eagleF1GSD3_sizes.html

Looking at my mods and considering that I'm currently in Florida, do you think these would be a good choice for street/strip tires? I was going to get Nitto555R's, but I need to drive in the rain and don't want to worry about safety... These were the best 245/50r16 tires I could find. I'm using ponies, so these are about as wide as I can practically go.

=Good Choice?
=Bad Choice? - Offer Alternative

Thanks all :D

• Sponsors (?)

GS-D3's are the best high performance street tire in the world. Just read the reviews on www.tirerack.com. That said, these are not drag tires. If that's what you're going to use them for, go with the Nittos or BFG Drag Radials.

I will need to drive the car in the rain and for generally short trips with the possibility of a longer trip or two... That's why I've decided against DR's, I don't have the money or wheels for an additional set of tires. Will these be good for drag racing, and general handling or at least much better than my Khumo All Season of the same dimension?

Either way they'll be better than the spare i'm riding on (3.4 mile trips per day) right now.

These are EXCELLENT tires and will be leaps and bounds better than any all-season tire you have on there now (any quality summer-only tire would) . I just put them on my BMW and am very happy with them. Phenomenal wet traction (not even a hint of hydroplaning in a couple downpours and solid rain storms) and dry traction is excellent. I did my rears a few months ago and just put the fronts on a few weeks ago (so I haven't had time to really push the dry handling - not for another couple hundred miles or so - at least until they're scrubbed a bit) but the car feels very composed and confident. Better traction than my ContiSport IIs anyway. I need to re-adjust to the increased limits ;)

Since drag radials are out of the equation for you, I think these would be your best bet. My bimmer doesn't have the torque of my Mustang so you'll still be able to break them loose...but they will offer more grip than just about anything short of drag tires – and they do great in the rain.

I would recommend them.

Check out this test(http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/features_classic_cars/tire_test_the_quick_and_the_tread_feature), I also ordered these tires for my stang. Should be hooking good enough, tho they tend to be better choice for open road track/auto-cross than for drag-strip.

"The Goodyear gripped so well that you might not have been certain the road was wet, and it lost traction in a gentle, predictable manner. It held onto the wet track with 0.82 g of stick, an impressive figure considering the worst tire in that test made only 0.67 g."

On my Saleen, which is a "handler" rather than a straight line car, the GS-D3's are fantastic. Wet or dry, they grip like there's no tomorrow. I haven't come close to finding their limit yet, but I've only had the car for 1500 miles. Next summer I'm taking a driving school, so I should have more input on the issue then.

On my wife's Cobra we've been running 315/35's on the rear for three years. From a stop, even when warm, I can pretty much spin them at will. Then again, a Kenne Bell'd dohc has a lot more torque than a stock 5.0. But for 99% of the driving we do, they are fantastic tires. Wet traction is great, even with the power this car puts down.

Those are amazing tires, probably the best all-around street tire you can buy right now. My friend had them on his WRX and the handling was amazing on dry ground or wet. He had some pretty decent Dunlops on it before but the handling with the BFG's improved night and day. Obviously AWD helps overall traction but in this case it was obvious just how much better the GS-D3's are than comparable tires.

Good tires and good price, tirerack use to rank them one of the best bang for the bucks. New comer that are making a dent is Dunlop Direzza starspec z1, very reasonably price and offer incredible dry handling. If you are looking more at budget wet/dry performance, try the Yokohoma ES100. I had these ES100 on my car and they last forever.