Early 68 sans markers?

85 Turbo Bird

Founding Member
Aug 30, 2002
Sacramento, CA
I saw a picture of a 68 Mustang that didn't have the sidemarkers on it. I know that people have shaved this but...

Did the early production 68 Mustangs make it out of the factory without the side markers? Were these only made a federal requirement at some point during the 68 production cycle?

• Sponsors (?)

I have a calender with several (12, I think) nicely restored Mustangs, and there's a nice, very stock '68 convertible with front markers, but no rear reflectors, so you may be right. I wish my fastback didn't have them originally, it would have saved me the trouble of taking them off...

The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966 required that the beginning with the 1968-year production would have the markers. Collapsible steering column and other SAFTY features added. Therefore, it would have illegal to sell a new car that did not meat these requirements.

Red5oh said:
All 68's should have had them. The only difference between early and late would have been whether or not the rear side marker was indented or flush to the metal.
which one was which? My rear quarter only has the two holes without the indent. Is that the late or early?

Jester67 said:
The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966 required that the beginning with the 1968-year production would have the markers. Collapsible steering column and other SAFTY features added. Therefore, it would have illegal to sell a new car that did not meat these requirements.
As a fellow 67 owner, I concur w/ the above. Amazing people who modify their car, and don't realize it's ILLEGAL!!! :nono: :nono:
I believe it's not SELL the vehicle. It's just altering it to not conform with Federal Safety Standards for 1968 and on.
Get a 67 if you don't want marker lights!!!:lol: :lol:

The part I like is that seat belts where an option in 67 but mandatory in 68 you cannot be fined for not wearing seatbelts in a 67 or before even if it so equipped.

hhead said:
As a fellow 67 owner, I concur w/ the above. Amazing people who modify their car, and don't realize it's ILLEGAL!!! :nono: :nono:
I believe it's not SELL the vehicle. It's just altering it to not conform with Federal Safety Standards for 1968 and on.
Get a 67 if you don't want marker lights!!!:lol: :lol:
Oh my, you mean my modified car doen't meet a pointless 38 year old law? What will I do? Next I'll find out the ride height is too low, or the exhaust too loud, or that my two-fours carberation doesn't meet EPA requirements! Why didn't I just leave well enough alone? Seriously, If I could have found a '67 fastback I would have bought it, but unlike '67 coupes, '67-'68 fastbacks do not grow on trees. I could have had a decent coupe within a days shopping, but it took my 6 months to find a nice, unbutchered fastback. I personally don't like the markers, so off they went. BTW, I'm also building a 347-powered '31 Model A Tudor sedan with a 5 inch chopped top that's sure to violate a few statutes. My main worry is not the law, but rather building cars that look stock...

There's a reason for SIDE marker lamps after 67, for ALL manufacturers. And it's not cosmetic. Lowered, raised, exhaust, engine mods, there are laws for these mods. That's why the classic car industry, in the last few years, have encouraged us all to write our Congressmen to change some of these crazy laws. Ron Bramlett of Mustangs Plus had a write about his stock hipo w/ no vac adv on the dist. couldn't reg. it w/o one. he could have just put one w/ it a reg it, but is trying to get this thru DMV. This was a few years ago. Don't know what happened to his situation.
But, it just goes to show you, that if it's on the books, they can use it against you. Look at the front license plate issue.
As a worse case scenario, if a pain in the a** cop wants to mess w/ you, he can pull this out, and your car is now, not ROADWORTHY!! can you say IMPOUND!!
Just a thought.

Pre-73 cars are smog exempt in Ca and therefore need nothing to be registered. No air pump, no vacuum advance, no kidding. I have never, ever heard of any car being impounded for no marker reflectors, nor have you. My car also does not a front plate and will not. Nor did any of my streetbikes, or my Suburban, or my '88 GT. I choose to behave myself and haven't been pulled over for vehicle code violations since I was about 23. Funny how once I matured, the cops started treating me like an adult and quit worrying about my car.

Again, there are LEGAL exemptions. But, to think you're immune is pure dreamin. I just met someone today w/ a no front plate fix-it. a $8 cost to have it signed off. Don't happen any more. PLEASE
It's up to the cop as to what he's going to ticket you for today.
Besides, there is NO LEGAL way to remove side marker lights. PERIOD! Just cause you're not caught today, doesn't mean you'll not get caught later. It's on the books.
Cruisin up a hill, doin 40 in 3rd, keep the rpms up so as not to bog. A cop 50 years old, overweight, looked like a desk jockey on lunch, pulls me over. Huh?? You're a little loud. HUH???? Full exhaust, up and over the rear????
No db meter, no nuthin. just had me sit there for a half hour while he's trying to figure how to ticket me. Again, like you, there's nothing ILLEGAL here. Full exhaust, mufflers???? Duh????
A....well I let you go. HUH???? If he wanted find something he would have. And I'm over forty. No tickets for the last ten years!! So, to think it will never happen to you.... That's why wear your seat belt. it's not only the law, but it' a pull-over offense now. Now, he really gets to scrutinize you and your car!

Early '68's, such as mine, have the indent. Since the indent was another step in the manufacturing process, a cost saving measure was to go back to the '67 style quarters and just add them on by drilling 2 holes. If you see a '68 without the rear quarter reflectors, it's a possible indication that the quarters have been replaced.

i am 21, and i follow the law. i know i might sound naieve but whatever, i drove my friend to work last week and i stopped at a stop sign, spedo = 0 mph. proceed cause there is no one anywhere near the intersection except a car comming a block away. a crown vic. flashing lights, pulls me over. thing is i was wearing a "beater" shirt, with a friend wearing one as well in a dirty car ( a subaru ) on a 97 degree day.
the officer proceeded to hold me there without reason until she processed my paperwork and said i didn't stop for a full 3 seconds, which she noticed from a block away.

my only thought on the matter? i got pulled over in a Subaru, imagine how many times i've been pulled over or followed in a V8 1965 Mustang..i mean really. police officers are looking for your a** cause they get paid.